What to look out for in a VN

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Dec_head
cars: VR Calais

Re: What to look out for in a VN

Post by Dec_head »

Wreckers can be bastards some of them just don't give a crap i worked for a few when i was younger and i would test engines compression test them etc i remember one being 50psi down on one cylinder and the boss saying chuck it on the shelf.Or they replace just the faulty component in exchange engines and call it a reco.
I figure they work on the fact most people want a cheap fix and as long as it runs and gets them out of trouble they wouldn't bother changing it again.
And even if they do want to exchange it they give them another one that could have the same issues as they are not the ones doing the work changing them they don't care.
I personally wouldn't buy an engine second hand unless it was real cheap low k and i could run it in the car and compression test it pressure test the cooling system.
Sounds like you have the know how to rebuild and engine but can see the dilemma when they are available so cheap running it makes it hard.
ToyHicko
cars: Toyota Celica/VN Bash Car

Post by ToyHicko »

Ok quick update on the original engine that was in the car. Terminal the con rod was snapped on cylinder 2 actual had broken the side out of the block but was hidden behind the engine mount. Looks like the intake manifold had been leaking hydraulic lock up bent the con rod leaking then later breaking. So this engine is a through away petty the engine is like new inside.

On the other engine the wrecker is searching for another engine to replace the faulty one. Fingers crossed it will be better!

Cheers
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

what about the heads and things like that if they are still good you might be able to get some dollars for them .... or if it was me i'd port them out and swap them over at some stage :punk:
ToyHicko

Post by ToyHicko »

I'm grabbing most the parts I can off the engine. The head may yet end up on the engine currently in the car if the wrecker can't find a engine. :x put the water pump was new and I've grabbed that plus all the sensor most should.

If the oil pick hadn't been damage we were going to weld the hole up get a new rod and put back together but didn't turn out to be that easy :(
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

soundsl ike she had a bit more than a rattle :think:
ToyHicko

Post by ToyHicko »

it was a rattle just a bloody loud one as it could not had any oil pressure. Never rang the engine long enough to notice but. Didn't notice until tonight that the engine mount was bent turned out to be from the con rod :oops: Anyway not much can be done now.

Any one want a crank with low km or even some cheap con rods set of 5.5