What to look out for in a VN

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
ToyHicko
cars: Toyota Celica/VN Bash Car

What to look out for in a VN

Post by ToyHicko »

Hi

As I'm a commodore petrol head I'm not sure what to look out for when buying. There is One 'Cheap' VN down the road I've looked around the windscreen and back window for rust and there is none. Engine has been replace from a VP Interior is clean. But main concern is the Diff there is a Oil leak from the back of the diff appears to be coming from a rubber plug is this a easy fix? There is also oil around the front of the engine almost looks like power steering lines are leaking or sump Are these common?

Is there anything else I should have a good look at?

cheers
Jason
Holden202T

Re: What to look out for in a VN

Post by Holden202T »

power steering pumps are common for leaking ... but without knowing where the leak is coming from its hard to say ....

diff should be easy to fix if its the rear rubber bung, its probably old and brittle, they are cheap to buy.

just gotta make sure you don't snap it off removing it!
ToyHicko

Post by ToyHicko »

This maybe a silly question holden202 but what if I can't get it all out? Could it damage the diff? Also the Pump isn't leaking the leak appear to be lower below the oil pressure sensor around the front and up the line towards the radiator. The leak isn't big as there is no oil stain on the concrete below the car.

One other thing not a big problem after having access this site but if they have changed the engine and not the ecu will that cause problems with the engines life span?

Another electrical problem is the head light low beam works switch to high beam they go out. And the boot springs are broken (not a real concern)

But has New tyres, Radiator, Battery, Front shocks and mounts not rust that I can see. Where are these prone to rusting?
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

probably trans fluid they weep out the radiator lines if they get loose.rust is in the battery tray bottom corners of front window in the tray under the bonnet hinges,in the boot where the front corners close over at the corners of the window along the seam of the back of the boot compartment and the top of the drivers side of the windscreen where my waterfall is coming from LOL
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
ToyHicko

Post by ToyHicko »

Only sign of rust is a little bubble in the boot near the corner of the back window. The car looks like it was has been rust treated most of it life. As it is a Coastal Car From Tweed Heads and now Coffs Harbour.

My guess was Transmission oil like you said but just thought I'd asks the experts first.

Ok then from the sounds of it I'll have some stuff to bargain with anyway to drive the price lower as the problems don't seem to be anything major.

Cheers guys
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

if the rubber bung breaks off it will fall into the diff, that means removing the bolts holding the backing plate to get it out, which also means out comes the oil in the diff .....

might not be a bad idea, fresh bung and gasket on the backing plate and a fresh lot of oil, least you'd know where its at then....

high beam, two possibilites, relay or fuse ...

in the engine bay fuse box, swap the high and low beam relays, if it changes the issue then you know its that, fuse - im sure you can work that out :D
ToyHicko

Post by ToyHicko »

Well had another look at the Car tonight and decide not to buy. Too much wrong with it for the price he wanted.

Rust under the battery and under the drivers side door sill. After a closer inspection there had been repairs to both front and back windscreen corners. The Head lights wasn't a fuse or a relay problem so something more major.

Anyway Still on the hunt for a cheap VN if anyone has one.

Cheers
Jason
Dec_head
cars: VR Calais

Post by Dec_head »

v6 or v8 ? i quite often see the v6 ones on feebay cheap and the occasional v8
ToyHicko

Post by ToyHicko »

Ok the goal post has moved a little.

I think i've found my car it's a 1991 VP commodore base model no rust :thumbup: . I swear I looked over it twice didn't think it was possible for a coastal car. Anyway the catch is engine is dead owner can't tell me whats wrong just the mechanic said it needed a new motor which is strange since the car has only 97000km on the clock :wtf: . So I rang around and I've found a few engine one is a VN series 1 and the other is a VR no one has a VP. So question is which engine would be better for the job or should i keep looking for a VP or VN series 2?

Cheers
Jason
Dec_head
cars: VR Calais

Post by Dec_head »

I am pretty sure vn series 2 through to vr in the v6 are the same engine