Memcal reader needed Western VIC

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
krusty
cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid

Memcal reader needed Western VIC

Post by krusty »

I need to pull a tune from a car to have a look see but don't have a memcal reader. Will pay for your time and use of the reader and will come to you. It's a D1245y with Kalmaker.

Thanks in advance
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Memcal reader needed Western VIC

Post by antus »

You wont need to read the bin, you should be able to suck it out with the flash tool. You'll just need to set 'echo' appropriatly for the comms interface you have (probably no echo, the default) and read the chip. There is a bug in kalmaker and factory GM code where the last 2 bytes get corrupted, but this is only one of the vectors and wont be a problem for analysing the tune.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
krusty

Post by krusty »

So are you saying that I should fit my KAL ECU with the customers chip fitted to that amd go from there? I thought I needed to pull the tune form the stock ECU with the KAL tune and load that to my RT chip and ECU to progress from there?
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

If you want to just read the kal ECM like your original post then do what antus sugested with the flashtool, much easier and with no need for an EPROM reader. But if your wanting to make changes to a kal tune thats been bunt to a memcal, then you will of course need to copy the tune to the RT board, make your changes and burn it back to the memcal using a EPROM programmer.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

yep.. just dont put a nvram in an 808 without the real time mod (the write line connected). If you do this 'write' will be left floating and can corrupt the nvram. I suggest if its the customer nvram board and ecu, just link straight to it and 'read bin' If its SP3 you can tune in tunerpro with delcowizids xdf, and write the cal back with the flash tool (pick 'write cal', select the bin, and it'll write only the cal segment back). Or if your prepared to do the stuffing around with antusprom, then you can realtime it.

As an afterthought, it will depend on what on what version kalmaker it is. If its a 128k bin, then you will need to go back to plan a and put it in a reader. Note that some kalmaker bins are 64k when their factory counterparts are 128k.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
krusty

Post by krusty »

Thanks Antus and VL400. The software is W91 Kalmaker 128k on a 396 L67 ECU so yeah, I think an eprom reader is the only way to go.

Any one with a memcal reader that can help me will be paid for their time
krusty

Post by krusty »

Bump, I need it sooner than later as I think damage is being done to the car from the previous tune and it needs to be remedied asap.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Why dont you buy a willem programmer? They are reasonably cheap and very handy :)
krusty

Post by krusty »

I've heard the Willems are hit n miss with a ds1245y NV and I don't want to fork out $210 for a MemprogL just for a one off. My software is really just for personal use

Thanks for the suggestion all the same
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

dunno whats hit and miss about it?, I think nearly everyone here that has VL400's nvram kit uses a willem including me and nobody has had troubles burning the DS1245y.

id say you can use mine, but im pretty far away :P