DIY Corner Weight Scales

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Holden202T

Re: DIY Corner Weight Scales

Post by Holden202T »

on a side note I have been measuring a few things...

vt 304 crank 23kg
blue/black 202 crank 28kg
black efi head with rockers and valves 30kg
yella terra alloy head is about 15kg with rockers
normal car battery is about 15kg also.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

That shows that straight 6 rotating mass is at quite a disadvantage where most people don't realise.

Interesting that its even heavier than the v8 crank. I should weigh a v6 one for comparison.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

6 separate crank throws instead of 8 shared and all that length soon adds up lol
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah but the other thing is the blue/black cranks are fully counterweighted so they are lovely and smooth at high rpms, i've heard speedway boys get sick of breaking red motor cranks or shaking everything apart and replace them with blue/black cranks and no longer have issues, plus a straight 6 sounds better than a v6 even if the crank is heavier :P
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

All 6 have same basic sound also shared with straight 3 and v12, differences between them depend on the engine finer details. I do agree the 202 is a nice sound engine but not all straight 6 engines sound good, example is falcon 6, they sound absolutely awful, especially FG turbo, like diarrhea much like a lot of british straight 6s. I really like the sound of high rpm BMW 6 race engines though.

V6s do sound good if the exhaust is designed right, not having all into one helps, not only sound but also performance. Split 2x straight 3s is were its at on a v6. having it all on a single 3" with stock manifolds or cheap non tuned short extractors sounds pretty crap.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

v6 crank is 15.5kg and they have very big counter weights. But they are only 400 and something mm long.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

im not surprised, like delcowizzid said, they share throws and have less counterweights because of it....

in other news, i have added some thickness to the bottom of the pad where it mounts to the load cell as i reckon it was flexing, it seems to have improved accuracy so thats a bonus :)

i also believe that with the flex on heavier loads it was making the other end of the load cell hit on the base before it measured the full load, so was dropping the weight in readings .... it now has a plate to strengthen it and also a second layer to move the load cell further away from the plate!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

So its been like a year since i touched this project, mainly because we have been renovating the computer and main bedroom, then we had a baby and well, we've finally got the rooms all done and the computer is no longer on the dining room table and all the boxes of electronics are accessible again :)

So i've made up a PCB, hopefully get it etched in the next few days and then assemble it and see if it links everything together as i am hoping!
scales pcb.jpg
scales pcb.jpg (250.45 KiB) Viewed 4234 times
the headers on the bottom are the 4 x connectors for the HX711 signal converters, and then on the side is a header for the nextion screen (top 4 pins) then external power input and then a pin for a reset button if i choose to add one.
firebug
cars: Pathfinder Ti 550, L67 Gemini

Post by firebug »

I've been wondering how this was going...
"My favourite colour of the alphabet is 3!"
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

like most things firebug, vveeeerryyy slowly!