vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: DIY Corner Weight Scales

Post by vlad01 »

My front end is 760Kg and the rear is about 600Kg 1360Kg total with auto and 55/45 distribution. I expect the front to decrease to about 730-740Kg after I am done with the manual conversion and lighter headers.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Tazzi wrote:Ooooooo, nice project!

Looks like you'll need to make the microcontroller take base readings first with nothing on them to indicate the zero base weight.
Then chuck on a known weight to work out what the correlation is between the readouts and actual weight.

I feel like my only use for this.. would be having beers with the lads to see who can stamp on it the hardest :lol:
lol!

yeah all the info I have read seems to indicate the same, get two known weights and see what the measurements are then you can work out the offsets needed to get accurate results.... theres functions in the scales for TARE so that shouldn't be too hard .... other than me being able to code it all :P
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Well that with was with a full tank and mirrors the weight listed in the brochure +/- a few kg so its pretty good considering one of my scales has a dead load cell, so I either weigh the front and rear as a pair separately and add them together or just copy the good scale on that axle across to the shit one. Or I can add 25% to that scale as it has 3 out of 4 load cells working so 25% extra is approximately correct. All the other 3 scales I confirmed are within less than 0.5Kg accuracy so pretty good considering the cheap quality built.

It was G's old scales he gave me as he got much much better ones. These are china proflow brand (genuine proflow) and are pretty shit quality but does the job for curiosity purposes.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

spent most of the long weekend sanding floor boards! :wtf:

but i did get a bit of time to start on a wheel pad and got the load cell mounted to it, it will need some angle iron to strengthen it up but it the basic layout is sorted.
load cell installed.jpg
load cell installed.jpg (124.62 KiB) Viewed 5087 times
i plan to put angle iron around the perimeter also strengthen it and also cover the sides in with it
scale1.jpg
scale1.jpg (187.93 KiB) Viewed 5087 times
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Did a bit more on the wheel pad, got a few braces in it and trimmed off the corners, i also ran the tig around the outside to fusion the edges together and give it a bit nicer look than the mig would have done!
20180403_160959.jpg
20180403_160959.jpg (245.57 KiB) Viewed 5047 times
20180403_161014.jpg
20180403_161014.jpg (245.62 KiB) Viewed 5047 times
got a few more bits to do on the top and bottom before i can try and test it with some weight.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

So tonight i connected the newly made wheel pad up to the arduino and calibrated it, then proceeded to weigh myself and the missus to see where it was at, all looked in the ball park, so i went out and set it up one corner at a time under the FX to see if i could get some half rough info to put in :)

the figures below are just numbers fed directly to the screen to make it look right :comp:
first weigh 1.jpg
first weigh 1.jpg (102.72 KiB) Viewed 5024 times
first weigh 2.jpg
first weigh 2.jpg (81.5 KiB) Viewed 5024 times
so obviously there needs to be another 100kg odd added to the driver seat (figure thats my 92kg plus helmet and such), i also weighed bits that wern't on the car and added them in .... theres obviously going to be more added, like poly-carbonate windows, some firewall and boot tin work yet to be done, and some of the fuel system is not in the car, plus 30kg for a full tank of fuel but the entire driveline is in the car as is the doors and bonnet/boot so hopefully its a half accurate idea of what this thing is going to weigh!
If these numbers are indeed accurate, plus adding up all the extras, i would not be surprised if this car comes in under the 1070kg that the gemini was (with me in it ready to race in turbo spec) so thats going to be very exciting if thats the case :driving:
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

holy shit thats light so far.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah i know, bit hard to believe, i am going to get my hands on a set of bathroom scales to sanity check the one i have made/calibrated, if that checks out then i can only assume its right!
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

I have dreams about getting under that magic ton :D
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

did a sanity check with the bathroom scales and there seems to be some variance in the load cell depending on the calibration .... for example, calibrated to my body weight it ends up being under at 9kg (paint tin) and then when I calibrate it for the paint tin, my 92kg body reads at 65ish ....

so I got two sets of bathroom scales side by side and measured all the corners and it came up about 65kg heavier so I measured each corner with the scales and then estimated the extras and I reckon its looking like 1080-1100kg with me in it which still isn't too bad ... I guess the end of the day wont know exactly till its all finished and weighed.

mind you the car is 1013kg stock according to google info, and if I can get it 1100kg with the strength and fast bits I've added its going to rock :turbo: :driving: