DIY Corner Weight Scales

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Holden202T

Re: DIY Corner Weight Scales

Post by Holden202T »

Took a few goes to get it acceptable because its been too long and i cant remember properly how i worked it out before (its a printed toner transfer using an iron), but i got an acceptable result - one day i will master UV transfers!

for anyone interested, the rough explanation is, you get a program to draw up a PCB, print it onto photo paper (i found semi gloss works best), then iron it onto a PCB without steam, and then soak it in water till the paper dissolves, then etch it and then use acetone or similar to remove the toner.
IMG_2710.jpg
IMG_2719.jpg
i can confirm that on the bench with the screen connected to the header it powers up and sends screen updates ... wooo :)
IMG_2718.jpg
IMG_2718.jpg (220.93 KiB) Viewed 4485 times
Its basically pissing down rain at the moment (not complaining cause we need it) but im not going out to the shed to test any further, but soon enough i hope to get the screen and PCB mounted into a box, and i need to get to jaycar to get a few things like power supply plug and a few mounting hardware parts, but i feel like this project has moved forward at least :punk:
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Cool, nice bit of home brew pcb manufacture there. That'll do the job!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Got the screen mounted in the case, and added some wires for the power and connected everything to the PCB, turns out the scale connections are not far enough apart to allow for the circuit boards (they hit each other) so i will be making a different PCB, it will be longer and will actually connect to the top two screws for the screen, so will work out much better for mounting in the case.

So i have two pads made enough to use, so i connected them, and my left foot is left rear and my right foot is right rear on the video, i swayed from side to side to shift the weight and i weigh about 90kg's! - never mind the slow response of the screen updating, i have some delays in my arduino script for testing so once they are removed it will be pretty fast to refresh.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NwfQp42Czg[/youtube]

so pretty happy, i have code for reading 4 load cells in one script but i had never tested it with anymore than one load cell connected (i didn't have the PCB to do it till now) so that was really the last test in proving the whole project will actually work!

one day i'll finish all 4 pads and it will be complete, but that will probably be after the race car is finished and i actually need to weigh it!! :roll: :lol:
jenko
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

nice
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Well the prototype has gone to production :comp: :punk:
IMG_3723.JPG
the bolt holes are about half a mm to wide but it just goes in!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Looking good!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

You should build a few and sell them.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i dont have time to finish my own let alone making more :P

I had a minimum order of 5 pcbs, so there are a few if people want to make their own, but thats as far as i go :P