OOOHHHH a police memcal...

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
delcowizzid

Re: OOOHHHH a police memcal...

Post by delcowizzid »

yeah funny what they sell and people buy LOL.latest thing is chip that plugs into the diagnostic port
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Mamba
cars: 1995 Holden Commodore VS Wagon
2006 Holden Berlina VZ Wagon

Post by Mamba »

I think they can see us coming and can tell we know squat about any of it.....PS I have to ask..what on earth are these things..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Holden-Commodore ... 3f00c45b9c
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

that is a chip in a box ... have a look at the last picture, you can see the header that plugs into the PCM then outside that are the pins sticking through from the chip inside it.

its amazing how far some people will go to make something look pretty so you can install it in PCM then put the lid back on it and never see it again :director:
Doctor Bob
cars: VN, VT

Post by Doctor Bob »

its funny too, the majority of these "tuners" on ebay only started producing these miracles when the information was made available on various forums.lol
Mamba
cars: 1995 Holden Commodore VS Wagon
2006 Holden Berlina VZ Wagon

Post by Mamba »

haha...I gathered it was a chip so I take it is very ordinary and the word "performance" is just there to attract the clueless like yours truly....bring back the carburetor and distributor !!..at least I understood them....
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

thing i like about the chips is yeah sure they might make 17kw on the engine that it was tuned for ..... problem is unless you have the same engine mods/ exhaust/ intake / fuel type you will not see that figure ....

theres just too many unknowns in them to make it worth the price they are asking for them!

as far as carby and dissy ..... step back for a minute and remember what your doing .....

changing a spark map to give more or less timing .... effectively your adjusting the dizzy, but you have far far greater control over it.... if you know how much timing and where to adjust a dizzy its just a matter of getting your head around how to do that in the software (tunerpro etc)

same with fueling .... adjusting the VE table to add more or less fuel .... and as above its got alot more scope for adjustment. AND i personally have wideband gauge and that makes its ALOT easier than i ever had it with a carby :D

actually would love to have had the wideband back in the 350 holley days to see just how close i ever was ....
Dec_head
cars: VR Calais

Post by Dec_head »

No not the carb
From my understanding a carb compared to injection is like pouring petrol down the manifold very limited control.
and a dizzy with vacuum advance is just as limited.

I have had a few mates over the years try some of the ebay special tunes
i have reprogrammed the original memcal to save them soldering in an eprom and in all honesty the extreme blah blah chips 9 out of 10 were worse then a stock tune over fueled or loss of power all sorts of issues.

Their was the occasional one that was an improvement some people really know their stuff.
I can't fault hsv and powerchip they always made an improvement but some of them were pretty much identical
i had a come racing chip that was useless myself.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Dec_head wrote:From my understanding a carb compared to injection is like pouring petrol down the manifold very limited control.
and a dizzy with vacuum advance is just as limited.
thats axactly right, i've never looked back since i went to EFI ... add to that the fact you can just turn the key in the morning and it runs perfect, and so much more drivable at low rpms with a cam compared to the carby.
Dec_head wrote:Their was the occasional one that was an improvement some people really know their stuff.
I can't fault hsv and powerchip they always made an improvement but some of them were pretty much identical
i had a come racing chip that was useless myself.
those sorts of tunes are designed to be generic enough that they give an improvement, but they also arn't all they could be due to their genericness, but i guess if you want a 'quick cheap hop up chip' they are ok, but theres not much that can compare to YOUR combo on the dyno.

as for come racing, without all the bits their chips are suited to they are just a waste .... like the 304 i bought for the missus, it came with a come racing memcal and after querying them i have determined that it will only be a good tune if i get the same cam that it had in it from come, otherwise any other cam selection is just going to be a back to the begining and the come tune will probably only be useful for a starting point to tune from.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

the problem with the come racing chips is that a lot of them cater for the high compression pistons that they recommend with the cam, so they run dick all timing. a lot of people change the cam and leave the compression stock, then it goes up to shit coz it has crap all spark advance.
Dec_head
cars: VR Calais

Post by Dec_head »

Yeah maybe i should have clarified the come tune i had was supposed to be for a standard vr 5 litre auto no cam etc just extractors and exhaust cai .
and the guy i got it from paid a lot of money like $500 or more .
i have the paperwork that came with it their were two chips wich after trying both i chucked in a draw and discarded as rubbish.
I think i uploaded the bins on here somewhere before for people to try the full manual shift function they had in power mode.
i used the power board with a bfpl 2416 wich was a huge improvement in comparison so it wasn't a total loss.