BINKY tomorrow

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: BINKY tomorrow

Post by heff0018 »

I was a bit surprised when they cranked it over to build oil pressure. Maybe there is no other way with that engine. I thought the idea was to get it fired straight away to run the cam in. How many cranks would it take to damage the cam lobes assuming they are smothered in cam lube.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

heff0018 wrote:I was a bit surprised when they cranked it over to build oil pressure.
Me too!
I give em props for pulling the spark plugs though ...
heff0018 wrote:Maybe there is no other way with that engine.
There is always a way, an oil galley plug, oil filter adapter to pressurize or a pump shaft to turn ... Something.
heff0018 wrote:I thought the idea was to get it fired straight away to run the cam in.
It is, and is most important on flat tappet cams, rollers not so much. I do not remember if it's roller or not.
I used to run a fresh build on an old cam and lifters to set the rings, then install the new cam and lifters to break them in.
heff0018 wrote:How many cranks would it take to damage the cam lobes assuming they are smothered in cam lube.
So many variables.
However I personally have had it happen cranking up oil on a well lubed cam ...

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
heff0018

Post by heff0018 »

Gampy wrote: I used to run a fresh build on an old cam and lifters to set the rings, then install the new cam and lifters to break them in.

-Enjoy
Hadn’t thought of that option, interesting.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Remember, with flat tappets ALWAYS keep the lifters on the same lobes ... Roller not so important.

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

the other way you could think about it, they could have not shown the part of the video where the trial and error was and then just shown you a fire up with no issues ..... to be honest it would be boring, cause everyone likes a good leek! :lol:

we've all faced wrong timing, incorrect settings etc, they seem more human and normal to me for showing every single step they went through, and in fact some people might even learn from their diagnostic methods!

i am personally trying to get a speeduino ECU running on an Alloytec V6, i had to pull the intake manifold off just to get the front spark plugs out, then i used a bolt to work out TDC so i could then mark the balancer and the timing cover to then allow me to use a timing light on it, which then required me to use a plug lead into the COP plug end and then i was able to put a conventional timing light clamp on it .... they certainly dont make it easy on modern engines, its all good and well with a off the shelf ECU with a base map to suit, but when your literally starting from scratch with a new setup there are a lot of bumps in the road!
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Some timing lights can pick enough energy just by placing the pickup against the coil.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

New episode.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk8t__6k1D4[/youtube]
heff0018

Post by heff0018 »

What a mission rejigging the clutch pedal and alternator Flexi drive.