Work bench Power Supply

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Holden202T

Work bench Power Supply

Post by Holden202T »

I have been having a bit of a tinker with old school arcade machine internals and I had a need for a power supply with 12v and 5v to supply it, and my first thought was that I had a spare PC PSU and it has the required voltages to do what I need, so I started googling wiring diagrams for the ATX connector to see which ones did what and I came across a really handy page that shows you how to wire up a PSU for a test bench power supply.

now you can just get on ebay and buy pre made boards to plug an ATX plug into and it does all the rest for you, eg: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/352339970467 but i wanted to do mine a different way.

I'm posting this because its probably pretty relevant to people here who tinker, and in particular using a PC PSU is a cheap option and it also has 3.3v, 5v and 12v all in one unit so its perfect for those Arduino projects too.

The link to the way i did mine is here: https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/bl ... upply.html

For what I'm using it for the arcade machine wiring loom came with screw down lugs already on it so I found a jaycar screw down terminal strip and added that to the side of the PSU case, this allows me to use it with the arcade machine and also have the ability to use it for other stuff when needed.
received_10157645783357501_1528328993681.jpeg
and just for those of you that are interested, this is the project i have been making it for.... the plan is to leave it as a portable console that can plug into the TV via HDMI/VGA so it might get a work out in the shed on party nights :)
20180606_224833_1528328994067.jpg
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Re: Work bench Power Supply

Post by oldn64 »

Nicely done Holden202T :thumbup:

I did have an original sega rally 2 arcade set (twin side by side) which used to get alot of work out on party nights. Had to get rid of it when the ex left. :|

Have thought about building a few consoles as well. Have plans somewhere on the cabinet (ie not movable easily) but have not pulled my finger out as yet.

If you are wanting to do HDMI connection and want to go really funky and the main processor has an intel wifi chipset and supports widi then try getting a microsoft wireless display adaptor. these work sweet and when you have a projector in your shed it would assist to easily connect, means also if you have a laptop which has this function you can beam your film from it as well.

Cheers
oldn64

PS: keep up the toy creation.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

this is the unit i bought https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/142667859683

i don't believe ith as wifi ....

there are others though, but i got this one as it has the old school jamma standard plug on it, but you can get newer ones which use USB connections and smaller connector.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

yeah I use PC PSUs for nearly everything where I need DC. I just bridge the grey and purple wires to start the PSU and call it done.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

you might be better with green and ground ....
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

sorry my bad, green and either purple or grey. I just remember the locations by eye, stick a paperclip in and don't think twice. Been running them like that for almost 20 years.

My 12v stuff in the shed plus my work light are running off a 750w thermaltake PSU with blown main caps, my old boss did that by running 415V into it and it exploded. Still works fine though lol. Took it home to replace the caps as it was a $250-300 unit but couldn't find any caps of those values so its stayed blown to this day.

Years ago those TT psus were renown for being one of the best. I have been running a 850W TT toughpower psu in my PC for over 10 years and it routinely survives brownouts and momentary black outs for up to 1 sec without the PC switching off, and the fact you can blow the caps and it still works shows that the name they used is deservingly so. They are tough.

The best ones now are seasonic and superflower or any brand that outsource to superflower including seasonic. Some models offer 12 year warranty which is pretty nuts for anything PC related.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah green and black are side by side in the plug and they are what they recommend to use in the above posted link.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I got mine diagonal so I'm sure it ended up being green and grey. This is what I figured out by myself as a 13 year old back then when internet was only a luxury the wealthy family could afford. I saw a layout label with abbreviation on one PSU and just tried connecting pins based on an educated guess from the label until it worked.

Never confirmed this as its always worked 100% for me all these years, but next time I will try it out to ground.
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

Cool project.
I have a 20 year old version of one of these:
http://www.arcadegamingaustralia.com.au ... ontroller/
Still going strong, have updated internals to USB support as mine was ps/2 and was running out of hardware that still works. Kids have hooked up to XBox for some retro games and still going strong.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah theres so much out there for them hey!