Micro SD card registry(NEW)

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
VX L67 Getrag

Micro SD card registry(NEW)

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Howdy all,

I have a piece of hardware that I need a "BRAND NEW" sd card to put files on to rectify the hardware, but I don't understand how it recognizes it's not "BRAND NEW"???

Surely there is a way to remove registrys in it or some super dooper format that will clean wipe it?

If anyone knows how it may work that would be handy to know & if there's a way around clearing it that would be AWESOME!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Micro SD card registry(NEW)

Post by antus »

If you want to empty an sdcard, boot a linux live cd and plug in the sdcard and reader. Look at the logs (/var/log/messages on linux) and you should be able to see the device name (something like /dev/sdb probably). Make sure your clear on this and then you can execute a command to fill it all up with 00 or FF to erase the lot. Eg (as root) dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=8M
It'll take quite a while to run (up to an hour?) and you should see the access light on the reader flashing, and eventually it'll exit with an error about device full or no more space. Then run sync to make sure the cache is flushed and you have a blank/completely new card.
There may be some kind of windows tool which can wipe them completely, also, and that might be easier if you can find one.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

A windows tool would be cool as I haven't used Linux for years & even then it was to try & setup a media player PC & think it was Linux Mint 11 from memory.

Thanks heaps for the idea!
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

VX L67 Getrag wrote:A windows tool would be cool as I haven't used Linux for years & even then it was to try & setup a media player PC & think it was Linux Mint 11 from memory.

Thanks heaps for the idea!
hehehe VX linux mint 11 is not that long ago but was a great version. it is the OS I started the kids on when they were 3 & 5. Ok so 7 years ago might be a while.

I am a little lost as to what you are trying to do. the SD card is recognised yes? what is the brand new reference. I might just be tired.

cheers
oldn64
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

The tool the SD card is needed for says for it to be recognized on the device it has to be a "BRAND NEW" card but the card does get recognized if it's not new it just looses certain capabilities.

But yeah when I said years ago I meant 3 or 4 from memory.
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

VX L67 Getrag wrote:The tool the SD card is needed for says for it to be recognized on the device it has to be a "BRAND NEW" card but the card does get recognized if it's not new it just looses certain capabilities.

But yeah when I said years ago I meant 3 or 4 from memory.

What OS does the "tool" run this might give a better understanding of what it is looking for? Do you have a sd card that has worked in the "tool" before as this might give more insight as to what it does to the card once it is recognised.

I remember years ago when DVR's were common place, the panasonics came in two versions and these were basically HDD size. However, the format was propriety and the difference between the two models was $900 when the HDD was only $250 brand new. a little trickery later and I was able to restore borken HDD systems with these units and upgrade the HDD's as well.

This might be a similar aspect...

cheers
oldn64
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Yeah that I'm not sure on the sd card that was working now says it's not registered.

If I had of known to take a snapshot of its setup in Linux (even better a windows software if it exists) of the card setup, then just flash back to that state when needed.... but heindsight is a wonderful thing!!!!
Ken

Post by Ken »

The HP disk format tools are good for flash drives, sd cards etc, there's 2 different ones in this zip, plus an alternative one, though the HP one's will probably do what you want it to do.
It's freeware too, I've found the cards have ended up with slightly more room on them than having been formatted by windows, regardless of the boot volume folder put on the by windows.
FormatDiskUtility.zip
(3.93 MiB) Downloaded 236 times
FmtTool.PNG
FmtTool.PNG (9.9 KiB) Viewed 4386 times
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Thanks heaps for that Ken, I have borrowed an SD card from a friend that was brand new & did get the hardware working so I know it will work with "BRAND NEW" cards so now I just need to make the old card look like it's new so I'll try these tools & then if no luck I will install linux.

Thanks again everyone :thumbup:
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Most of them come formatted not blank so just right click it and pick format in windows. Try fat32 and exfat and ntfs. Something will probably work.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396