Micro SD card registry(NEW)

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
The1

Re: Micro SD card registry(NEW)

Post by The1 »

allocation unit size is probably the factor in how much useable room there is, different sizes would change the block size.

By brand new it may mean to remove any partitions, so go into computer management and remove the partition on the sdcard drive.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Size isn't a factor as the original unit's SD card is 512MB & your told to use a 2GB new card, but I used a 2GB(only used in camera previously...IE not seen by that device) that I tried low level formatting & then windows formatting in the needed FAT32 & it wouldn't work.

I then borrowed friends new 4GB sd card & put the files needed on it for the device(total in 35MB) & BINGO...worked perfectly.
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

VX L67 Getrag wrote:Size isn't a factor as the original unit's SD card is 512MB & your told to use a 2GB new card, but I used a 2GB(only used in camera previously...IE not seen by that device) that I tried low level formatting & then windows formatting in the needed FAT32 & it wouldn't work.

I then borrowed friends new 4GB sd card & put the files needed on it for the device(total in 35MB) & BINGO...worked perfectly.
OK, so lets try a few things now you have it working.

Open up computer manager (then disc manager) and have a look at the format of the card. This will then give you a comprehension on what is needed. I suspect that the card starts off a fat32 and then it formats it to something else, it may even have a failsafe to not format to its partition if there is data on it. The reason for the thought is that you stated the old one is not recognised and the one you have just done is the same, this means the format might not be correct for windows to understand. If that is the case then I have plenty of tools to help there. Will need YUMI and a few iso's from me and you will be away.

Let me know how you go...

Cheers
oldn64
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Ok so I tried all the windows programs & just does the same as normal win7 formatting I even tried the cmd(as admin) diskpart full clean but no good.

So I went & grabbed the old Linux mint11 disc(I actually found mint12 kbe too) & to my surprise it actually boots from disc without installing.... sweet!

But I can't find the way to Antus's instructions... attached is the closest I can get to any of it.
Attachments
IMG_2669.JPG
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Open a terminal and run "mount" and post up the results
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Ok here that is but not sure what it means?
Attachments
IMG_2672.JPG
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

This would seem to suggest that the format of the sd card is vfat.

If you wish to know in a GUI look at using the parted magic application in your first post. This will give you a proper idea in gui if that helps you.

Mint is a good OS, Linux also generally self boots, it is just that most people dont want to code to use their OS. (i do like arch but would never suggest for a new user)

Cheers
oldn64
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

It was definitely fat32, but maybe rather than running Linux Mint off the cd I need to install it onto a hdd to get the result I need.
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

VX L67 Getrag wrote:It was definitely fat32, but maybe rather than running Linux Mint off the cd I need to install it onto a hdd to get the result I need.
yes I agree it might be that the card started out as fat32. I am expecting that the system reformated the partition. Run parted magic and have a good look. it has a similar outlook on systems as disk manager in windows.
parted.jpg
parted.jpg (292.2 KiB) Viewed 3526 times
your other option is download gparted which is a partioning linux iso that boots live without install and does awesome work. I have used it for partition changed on SOE prepared remote systems when I was involved with a major grain corporation. Just works.

If you have a "spare card" I would partition it with parted and format as fat32 so it is blank and see what the outcome is. I am not a huge fan of windows disk manager.

Cheers
oldn64
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

^^ thats good advice
the other option is... to completely erase everything... (which very few cards ship from the shop like). You can erase the partition table. You can see in your screenshot that is device /dev/sdb1 mounted on /mount/8CC9-DF3D which means files under that location are on the first partition of /dev/sdb. You can become root (administrator) with:

sudo -i

Then unmount the card (eject, windows term) it with:

umount /dev/sdb1

At this point any open file windows you have for that drive should disappear.

Then run this to erase the card:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=2M count=1

This is very destructive. It'll write zeros to the first 2Mb of device /dev/sdb

If you have the wrong device it'll trash the wrong disk. For example if its your computers hard disk... uhoh. Be damn sure you have the right device.

You can see the SD card serial number when you type mount. We can see its "8CC9-DF3D" because its 4 digits of hex, hyphen, 4 more digits of hex which is normal for sdcards. It'll always mount on /mount/8CC9-DF3D. We can see from mount that its device is sdb1 where SD means scsi disk (pretty much everything talks scsi protocol theses days), and b means the second logical disk in the system, and 1 means partition one. Were targeting the disk, not the partition so we target /dev/sdb

The outcome will be a disk with no partitions and no usable space because its got no partitions. If the tool cant use it like that (and you cant either) use windows or gparted to create a partition and format it at which point it'll show up like a normal drive again.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396