RAW's conversion LHD to RHD complying company/people

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
VX L67 Getrag

RAW's conversion LHD to RHD complying company/people

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Hi all,

Just wondering how many of you out there have the business setup to iso9001 certification & RAW license & what the ongoing costs are & if there's any tips or secrets to keep it all smooth sailing?
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Re: RAW's conversion LHD to RHD complying company/people

Post by oldn64 »

Hey VX L67 Getrag,

I have been involved with a few companies whom have gone through the ISO9001 cert. Unfortunately I was not part of the finance team and therefore was not across the costs. If need be I might be able to get in contact with a accountant whom is still involved and ask the question.

Why are you heading down this path?

Cheers
oldn64
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Thanks for the reply!

Since NCIS L.A. & Blue Bloods TV shows, I've always really liked the Challengers!

I sort of talked my wife into letting me bring 1 in, then I found out it costs more than what it's worth to buy car & ship it in to get it converted with compliance!?!?

So dug in further & found out most of ins & outs to do the conversion so just checking it all out before I jump in head first!
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I know the owner of Mustang country pretty well. He imported and converted 2/3 of all RHD mustangs in Oz over 25-30 years, the other 1/3 was done by some mob in Sydney.

I recall there was a bit involved, not idea on compliance and cert costings but it was never an issue for this guy, he is loaded to the brim from that business being so successfully. I can ask next time I see him if you like.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Thanks Vlad,

Every little bit of info helps, looks like they're out in Kyneton do they do many other models other than mustang?
With importing them & Camaro's now it must be making a change in the conversion companies?
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Prior to January 1987 you don't have to convert (in NSW) after that it gets difficult particular the newer cars especially the electrics. A friend of mine was the first to bring in new F150 Fords (talking 6 years ago) and the Canberra paperwork was horrendous. He ended up shutting the doors and walked away from the business. Jap cars are a bit easier but the Canberra hurdles are again a big problem for late model cars.
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

Similar to Vlad I know a guy that used to (he is 80yo now) convert the original camaros back in the day (ready smokey and the bandit), lots of the impalas etc. He did this from a factory in Dandenong (long since gone) and was a 3 man shop. The work was amazing and just worked, he too was somewhat cashed up and still lives in lysterfield. There is also a guy I have seen in Coldstream that seems to import alot of the suburbans and c10/20's but i am unaware whether he does the conversions.

I would love a GMC 900 COE truck but the part these days are amazingly priced that it will take me a long time to save. Might have to finish a few other projects first then look at this... I truly would love a brand new camaro, but with a conversion and the import with prices around the $160K plus it is way outside my price range. If HSV do actually bring them in then i might be able to convince the budget to obtain one but it would need to be something special.

Being that you are looking at a new challenger there might be more regulations you need to cover off. I wonder how Holden get around the LHD RHD issues when testing the camaro and the cadillac??? there has to be some sort of LHD law here now because of this. The other thing to remember is the challenger is huge. You may only just get it in a lane here. Yes they are nice but the new Chrysler is not the one of the old :(.

cheers
oldn64
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

My boss at a previous place of employment brought in a Ford Shelby Mustang GT500 Super Snake and had these guys do import and the RHD conversion. https://www.mustangmotorsport.com.au/ It was not cheap, and there were a lot of custom parts / custom work. His exact car was on a low budget TV show on SBS too.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I don't think Holden did anything with the Camaro. You can bring a LHD car here for a period of time for market evaluation then you have to send it back or crush it.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

VX L67 Getrag wrote:Thanks Vlad,

Every little bit of info helps, looks like they're out in Kyneton do they do many other models other than mustang?
With importing them & Camaro's now it must be making a change in the conversion companies?

No only mustangs and they no longer do the conversions, the guy is semi retired and his son runs the business now as more a mechanic/road worthy shop.

Last conversions to be done was like 6-7 years ago at least.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.