jenko
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

pedal control box

Post by jenko »

Been reading about these pedal control boxes .
Are they just a bunch of resistors to make your electric pedal go to full throttle early or in fact can they do what they claim :hmm:
I understand you can make the drive ability different from standard but I can't see them making power however could decrease fuel consumption by not allowing full throttle. and interesting article on pedal control boxes.
http://www.crosslake.net/~dbipes/sprint ... ooster.pdf
whats your thoughts?
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Re: pedal control box

Post by Charlescrown »

I see them as just that. They change throttle response to give the seat of the pants feel good. They can't produce more power and considering all drive by wire cars have traction control limiting the amount of power delivery either way are not worth the money. Just push the pedal down a bit more.
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

They’re selling them at work I think I’ve driven a couple with them fitted I think they’re horrible if your driving with a trailer or slow speeds makes it jerky as all hell as soon as you touch the throttle it’s hard into it and you look like an l plater again. all it does is instead of the throttle being the same as the pedal stroke it shortens it usually at a linear rate so at 5% pedal position your at 10% throttle at 10% pedal your at 20% for example obviously you can change the rate make it more or less aggressive. Makes it feel like it has more power without having to sell not sinking your foot into the pedal as far also makes the trans shift further into the rev range and can’t be good for economy either
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

Dazza92VP is correct.

Unless you are tracking the car it makes it very has to have fine control of the pedal thus the throttle. Cruise control freaks out as maintaining speed consistency becomes erratic. If you are on the track though these work well as fine control is not such an issue until you have pit speed limitations.

I do notice with both my VE's that if traction control is on the throttle is delayed by approx 1/2 second, (on depress) and thus when rev matching your gears it becomes interesting, especially when on of the race cars is still cable driven TB and hence no deal and the second one is drive by wire with modified pedal. The simplest way to get a better throttle response is to disable traction control. This stops the computer thinking about things and actually giving the throttle what the pedal commands. Now before you start screaming about ho dangerous traction control off is....... Think about the fact that most of us here drive cars with accel cables, and without airbags.

I would rather drive a car that I now what the result of my action are and what the car will do than one where the car desides which tree we will hit......yes traction control can actually increase the danger, and dont even get me started on ABS. I really dont like this driverless car idea but hey I enjoy no thrills motoring where i have to drive the car not the car does most of the driving. Why teach people to drive properly when we can make the car better so that our stupidity does not kill us..... [gets down off the soap box]

cheers
oldn64