Thoughts on restoring VR-VS rear window moulds

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Re: Thoughts on restoring VR-VS rear window moulds

Post by yoda69 »

I’d just take them off and give them to Vlad and tell him you want them better than new!
:lol: :lol:
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I seriously got to start charging for consultation.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VSRaptor
cars: Vp Commodore V8
Vs Commodore ute V6

Post by VSRaptor »

Biggvl wrote:I was using paint to save it...

Anyhow, does anybody have thoughts on what to refinish the door handles with?? As you can see in the pics, the paint is shit on them too...

Take it to a paint shop and get them to paint it in 2 pak satin black and clear. It will withstand the suns rays and looks good. Powder coating does fade and didn't last long for me.
Mine only cost $100 both handles and looks good
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

That's one problem I found, it's hard to get good powder coaters and ones that have variety of powders as there are many many types, but a lot of the coaters use just one type of shit stuff. I have had poor results from powder coating in general, shit finish and bubbly mos times.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VSRaptor
cars: Vp Commodore V8
Vs Commodore ute V6

Post by VSRaptor »

Most average powder coats do industry work that leave ripple finishes.
You want the business that does fine detailing work like rims, body components. They leave a smooth, ripple free finish.
It's all in the prep work.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

vlad01 wrote:Did you rote in windows photo viewer? it doesn't work doing on the phone. That's what I use. You need to rotate a random direction, click next pic to save or exit to save, go back to it and rotate back to the way you want it and then save again the same way.

Because if you just rotate and rotate back in one go it sees no change and doesn't save anything.

I just go though all the of them, rotate right for eg, next rotate next rotate next etc. Then go back the other way, rotating left, previous, rotate, previous, rotate etc until back to the start and they should all be good.

The ones that appear the wrong way in photo viewer only need to be flipped to the right way once and it will save, it's just photo viewer usually gets the right way the first time even if it's wrong in the meta, so they all need to be flipped twice as you can't guess if those will be the right way posted on the net. Doing it twice allows every one to be re-written and ensures they are all standardized after and all the apple bs is removed from the file.
there is only one 100% foolproof solution.... stop using CrApple IamshitPhones and buy a real phone lol J/K :lol:

it gets better.... your pics on the forum for me load sideways in the thread, but click on them and they load upside down :thumbup: apple :thumbup:
Apple devices record the picture natively in a certain direction in comparison with the camera sensor but instead of rotating the native pixels of the image, they store the orientation in the MetaData. this makes the camera faster because it doesnt have to spend cpu time on your phone to rotate the image only store it. so when viewing from a non apple devices it will either display natively, or it will use exif data but apple exif data is sometimes 180deg different to other viewers, so it even appears upside down in certain cases.
I was reading about third party camera apps that can rotate the image correctly when you take it, EG: Camera+
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

yeah I regret getting an apple phone. Def getting a faster, better, flexible and cheaper Android phone next time.
Luciad03
cars: golf T5

Post by Luciad03 »

vlad01 wrote:I've done a couple before. The biggest issue it the cracks in the rubber, sanding might look to have removed them but they still show up after painting but if they aren't bad to begin with then they come up almost like new. Yours are too far gone looking at the photo.

I have tried about 20 different paint products over the years, none work except vinyl dye and it is almost like the factory coating. Only issue is the gloss dye is less forgiving to flex under 10-15c but won't be an issue on windows like that mutuelles TNS, it's more that it can crack if you bend the rubber over a fair bit like you can on the door quarters as they are exposed to that, body quarters are completely fixed so it won't be an issue.

Also 2-3 coats won't have an issue, it's more that if you go over 5-7 coats it can crack easier but it kind of needs a lot of coats as it has no filler and doesn't built well which is what you need for bad rubber to try fill the cracking. If the rubber is pretty decent then sanding and 2-3 coats it will look like NOS and flexible like is too. The biggest challenge is to find good used ones where the peeling is only minor and caught in time to restore it, otherwise you can forget it, results will be sub par.

Example of the best result I've got. Was pretty much in vane anyway as I found enough NOS ones for 2 cars and swapped it out shortly after.

IMG_2310.JPG
My also has acrylic paints that are quite practical. In addition we can not scratch it. That's why the vyniles are no longer