Soldering iron and retro hardware

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
The1

Re: Soldering iron.

Post by The1 »

Nice collection of parts there

This is up on the wall in the storeroom at work, not sure if it still works or not.
Attachments
IMG_20181130_093556.jpg
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Oh wow, P2L97 Dual.. Nice... I had a job building PCs and windows back in the 90s and that shop had contracts with the universities and pretty much exclusively sold asus because they were high quality. Ive been buying asus gear ever since and its pretty true. I bet that board does still work. Pitty it doesnt still have the ram, it'd be pretty easy to find an ide cdrom and try and boot it up. The hard bit would be deciding what OS to run. Something windows from back the day, and then mess around with drivers for ages trying to find versions that work, or boot a modern linux distro which would probably would just work, but then the software pain was what made it so much of a a fun challenge! Cool out how it supports a DIP bios, and has the socket, but its shipped with a surface mount part in place instead. Nobody would build a motherboard these days and pay to install sockets for a chip that is not required and which less than 99% of customers would ever use. Real corner case hardware support!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
The1

Post by The1 »

it has a wide scsi port and i still have a couple of drives here!
Ken

Post by Ken »

Brings back memories.
My first server was a dual slot 1 unit, Super Micro, P6DBE, still have it, was running XP pro , filezilla server and DynDNS to update the ip.
I kind of have a problem with getting rid of things I no longer use / used , if they still work..
FirstServer.JPG
FirstServer.JPG (170.84 KiB) Viewed 3159 times
Then came the 694DPro, dual coppermine 1gig system, what a nugget that started out to be, ended up replacing every single cap in this board.
2ndServer.JPG
Then the last server, Tyan tiger S2460, dual Athlon MP 2600 w 512 cache ea cpu, 2g registered ecc, this thing ripped, regardless of the load back when I used it..
LastServer.JPG
LastServer.JPG (183.46 KiB) Viewed 3157 times

Y'know the1, I'm going to have to dig that box of 486 boards out now to source you a board and dig out the dual 486 server board for show-n-tell.

I also have an old 437fx chipset board cocked beyond imagination bios wise, has a bios developed by some guru that runs an mmx cpu and appropriate voltage regulator, and 8 x 128gb ide hard drives after adding the add-on board to accomodate the extra drives, and double everything else, eg: 4 floppies, 2 parallel, 4 com ports etc etc.

PS: looks like you'll be replacing that cap next to the right cpu there The1.
barana
cars: mitz L300
holdens i have owned
TD,TE TG gemini
HBII LC4 UC x2 torana
VH Commodore
EH Special

Post by barana »

My collection has reduced significantly .. an Amiga 500, a sam460 based system (1.1ghz ppc) and an old 68lc040 Mac 575 with a shot Mobo and a rapsberry pi 0.
Assorted wintel laptops friends have given me.
Would like me an apple IIGS tho.(shouldn't have given it away)
I'm looking forward to the day when I setup a gopher server on the rpi .
"Its alright for god, he doesnt drive a kingswood.Even the nuns only have toranas"-Ted Bullpit
Me:yeah,corse,God's a Holden man
Mate:whaaa?
Me:Psalm 83:15 so pursue them with your Tempest and terrify them with your Storm
A Holden & a pontiac
Ken

Post by Ken »

barana wrote:Would like me an apple IIGS tho.(shouldn't have given it away)
I've got a bit of a collection of apple happening too..

Dug out the 3/486 box of boards.
Raw horsepower here.
DualSoc3.JPG
DualSoc3.JPG (194.6 KiB) Viewed 3148 times
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Dual vesa local bus! Those cards were long! That machine with a paradise vesa vga or similar would have run doom 2 with killer frame rates.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
The1

Post by The1 »

:thumbup: Nice Ken, got some rare stuff there, Back to AT Psu! Some kind of Raid? with a ram slot for cache and a PLCC package for ram bios eeprom, whoor would have cost a mint back in the day.

yeh replacing caps in that era was my business's bread and butter lol.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

This is my current retro rig. Dual-dual AMD Opteron (4 cores) with 16GB of ram and nvidia Quadro FX card modded to a geforce with stupid overclocking due to the quadro's high quality silicon.

The sound blaster I swapped out for a asus xonar because the SB as always was giving me headaches. Creative drivers = :comp:
Attachments
IMG_0267.JPG
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Ken

Post by Ken »

vlad01 wrote:This is my current retro rig. Dual-dual AMD Opteron (4 cores) with 16GB of ram and nvidia Quadro FX card modded to a geforce with stupid overclocking due to the quadro's high quality silicon.

The sound blaster I swapped out for a asus xonar because the SB as always was giving me headaches. Creative drivers = :comp:
Retro, that's off its tits, too new for me. :D

I've got an NEC5800/130Apro dual soc8 server too, too heavy to transport for show-n-tell, gotta be north of 30kgs.

Iv'e got a few HP risc servers too, looking for a kb adaptor for one of them.
one of these:
715-80 Keyboard Adaptor Module.jpg
715-80 Keyboard Adaptor Module.jpg (69.34 KiB) Viewed 3130 times
I definitively had a thing going for dual cpu boards there for a while, could never bring myself to throwing them out..
A low end dual cpu 30 pin sim only board.
AMI_DualSoc3.JPG
AMI_DualSoc3.JPG (171.28 KiB) Viewed 3121 times
I've actually found I've kept more 2 & 386 cpu boards than I'd realized too.

A 386 board with the option to run a 386 compatible 486 cpu under it
Dual386.JPG
Dual386.JPG (152.1 KiB) Viewed 3119 times