vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Soldering iron and retro hardware

Post by vlad01 »

Ken wrote:Sounds like you'd be a gamer, my rig doesn't get much more load than IDA or PE Explorer disassembling whatever I'm into for the moment.
Sort of, mostly really old games but one simulator I muck around with brings modern top of the line hardware to it's kees. My current hardware struggles big time on 900p res lol. Forget even 1080p :lol: high powered potato is what my rig is. Good at sucking power and making heat for nothing.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Xtree Gold, hell yeah. File manager of choice. It had a hex viewer or editor too I think. So before windows, was very convenient to use. And supported 60 line text modes. Eventually XTree for windows came out, but by then there wasnt really much point anymore. I tried that but never got in to it.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

XTreeWin SUCKS at best!

Yup, xtg has a hex viewer/editor.
Also has viewers/editors for other file formats as well.

-Enjoy
: )_~
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yeah and undelete. So useful.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

You mean 'Oops!' ...

Branch compare.

I definitely credit xtg for my understanding of file management.

-Enjoy

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
ejukated

Post by ejukated »

Ken wrote:Regular 320g ide on the left, and a huge 190mb on the right, which are still fetching north of $200 today, and this is a huge one for it's vintage, I have a 43mb one buried in a box of drives somewhere in the workshop, and dam are they noisy.
160mb_mfm_drive.JPG
Wow, would have thrown away a few hundred $ over the years!
ejukated

Post by ejukated »

ahh XTG, I was a Norton Commander guy myself tho :P
ejukated

Post by ejukated »

who knows what this is for
IMG_1702.JPG
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

ejukated wrote:who knows what this is for
Can't see all the ends but they look like standard db9/25 serial cables typical for external modems and such ...

-Enjoy

philippap14
cars: toyota

Re: Soldering iron.

Post by philippap14 »

vlad01 wrote:I got a few bits like that but no where near that much. I got a nice lot of trays of old stock components from my uncle's LED sign business from 15-20 years ago.

What I have the most of is actually old PC parts, various ram, mother boards, CPUs, heaps of HDDs, DVD burners, floppy drives, GPUs, sound cards etc.. and tons of cables and network bits and bobs.

Another bit lot I got is heaps of engine harness supplies, GM colour coded wires, Delphi terminals and connectors référenceur site web Paris, harness protection and mounting stuff etc.. I got enough to supply myself for a couple of full harnesses from scratch.
It's a big project you have. Maybe you could post pictures so we can take lessons