vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Soldering iron.

Post by vlad01 »

I did start one already a while ago but it got lost from inactivity.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
The1

Post by The1 »

P150 with 64mb Edo ram upgrade, still all works fine, hdd is dead though, screen is to laggy for games lol
Attachments
IMG_20181205_080339.jpg
ejukated

Post by ejukated »

The1 wrote:P150 with 64mb Edo ram upgrade, still all works fine, hdd is dead though, screen is to laggy for games lol
Haha i have the model after that for pure DOS/LPT/RS232 stuff. Amazingly still has around 30mins of batt life!
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

That's better than my core2 laptop with a new battery lol.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Ive still got my old P166 for dos, or lpt. I stopped replacing the battery after the 3rd one and after the PSU blew I just cut the cable and run it direct straight off the bench 13.8v power supply. Its too old to run 19v like the newer gear and its happy on anything car voltages 12-14. Pretty convenient. Still got it booting dos/win98/linux kernel 2.4 (fedora core 1) with boot menus on boot menus for all the old and weird tools. Ive actually virtualised the image now and almost never need those tools, but I keep it hanging around. Its actually got 78mb ram as I was lucky enough to score a spare 64mb module back in the day just by being in the right place at the right time, and Ive upgraded the HDD to 4gb :D There is a pcmcia ethernet card and an old school 200mw senao 802.11b wifi card too. And a single USB 1 port on the back. You couldnt get any older without loosing the compatability with the early technologies that made it and are still backwards compatible.
Attachments
softice for windows 98 - winice .jpg
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Ken

Re: Soldering iron and retro hardware

Post by Ken »

Ahh, currently working my backside off to get work out so I can get to Sydney for some dyno work before summernats, kind of don't have time for show-n-tell atm.
You can be sure I'll dig the museum out when I get back though, the old mid 80's IBM with Windows 1 on it ( looks similar to the one Microsoft demo'd Premiere Edition on), the Tandy 1000 unit, commodore 64 and some 486 laptops.
WinPrem.jpg
WinPrem.jpg (44.37 KiB) Viewed 3423 times
vlad01 wrote:Only intel of the period I find interesting and like is the pentium pro as it is the farther of modern CPUs with it's out of order execution, branch perdition and writeback cache, modern pipelines etc. The very stuff the modern intel and AMD CPUs use today.
Got a few of them in dual cpu boards too..
did I mention I had a thing for dual cpu's :lol:
DualSoc8.jpg
DualSoc8.jpg (149.06 KiB) Viewed 3416 times
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I just opened a cupboard I hadnt for quite some time and found my old keytronic KB3270/PC keyboard.

I received it with some random pc parts a long time ago and never used it, but I assumed it was just an AT connector and it would work with an adaptor to ps/2. But one of the old school unix guys at work recognised it as a PC version of a system from an old IBM mainframe, and he thinks that it was designed to be used on a pc when you were accessing the mainframe and needed the extra keys. It also turned out AT keyboards are not all the same and its unlikely to work with any adaptor to anything modern. Maybe I should try it one day....

I just googled and found this http://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/kb3270.html it sounds like its protocol configurable and probably could be made to work, though that is a plus and this is a pc. But it does have a bunch of dip switches that seem to line up with that text. What a beast!
Attachments
keytronic.jpg
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Love old school keyboards. They are so comfy and responsive. Sound great too!
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Ken wrote:Ahh, currently working my backside off to get work out so I can get to Sydney for some dyno work before summernats, kind of don't have time for show-n-tell atm.
You can be sure I'll dig the museum out when I get back though, the old mid 80's IBM with Windows 1 on it ( looks similar to the one Microsoft demo'd Premiere Edition on), the Tandy 1000 unit, commodore 64 and some 486 laptops.
WinPrem.jpg
vlad01 wrote:Only intel of the period I find interesting and like is the pentium pro as it is the farther of modern CPUs with it's out of order execution, branch perdition and writeback cache, modern pipelines etc. The very stuff the modern intel and AMD CPUs use today.
Got a few of them in dual cpu boards too..
did I mention I had a thing for dual cpu's :lol:
DualSoc8.jpg

Yeah I like dual socket as well. I got 2 boards. One you saw before socket 940 and I also have one with dual socket A with 2800+ MP CPUs in it and NOS Thermaltake volcano 11 all copper coolers on it. Had to get those as that was the first serious cooler I got on my first proper gaming PC back in the day. Variable 60mm double ball bearing 4800 RPM fans ftw! :lol:
ejukated

Post by ejukated »

antus wrote:Ive still got my old P166 for dos, or lpt. I stopped replacing the battery after the 3rd one and after the PSU blew I just cut the cable and run it direct straight off the bench 13.8v power supply. Its too old to run 19v like the newer gear and its happy on anything car voltages 12-14. Pretty convenient. Still got it booting dos/win98/linux kernel 2.4 (fedora core 1) with boot menus on boot menus for all the old and weird tools. Ive actually virtualised the image now and almost never need those tools, but I keep it hanging around. Its actually got 78mb ram as I was lucky enough to score a spare 64mb module back in the day just by being in the right place at the right time, and Ive upgraded the HDD to 4gb :D There is a pcmcia ethernet card and an old school 200mw senao 802.11b wifi card too. And a single USB 1 port on the back. You couldnt get any older without loosing the compatability with the early technologies that made it and are still backwards compatible.
Did you use a menu program or menu from the autoexec.bat and config.sys files? I can't find a floppy I used to have with my favourite menu program from my 386/486 days :(