Replacing SRM unit

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
novice1
cars: Holden Commodore

Replacing SRM unit

Post by novice1 »

Just wondering if someone can comment on the correct way to fit an SRM unit to a VX Commodore.

I won't bore you with the details of why I need to do this surfice to say Holden want $630 to do what I think is a two hr job at most with a $250 part.

I have successfuly removed the centre console and located the SRM. Now waiting for part....

What I wanted to know was what is the correct procedure to remove the unit. Is diconnecting the battery the best way to go and is that all I need to do?

I believe that I will still need to get the unit reset to cancel the error code or can someone give me an alternative. I don't have any fancy gear>

Cheers and thanks for your help.
Jayme

Re: Replacing SRM unit

Post by Jayme »

sorry for the dumb question but wtf is an SRM? supplimental restraint module? just shooting in the dark
novice1

Post by novice1 »

SRM is the Sensing and Diagnostic unit which controls /checks all the airbag and seat belt pretensioner.

IT is hidden under the centre console

Cheers
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

It's actually SDM (Sensing and Diagnostic Module).
If the SDM has deployed the airbags it is now a paperweight as it can not be reset.
If it only has DTC's they can be reset but require a Tech 2 or equivalent.
There are several different versions of SDM's depending on the number of airbags fitted to the vehicle and model, make sure the replacement one has identical part number to the one removed.
Disconnect battery, wait a few of minutes, remove and replace SDM, then reconnect battery.
When fitting, make sure the arrow on the SDM points to the front of the vehicle.

yoda69
novice1

Post by novice1 »

Just wanted to thank Yoda for the advice.

All worked well (sort of). The warning light went out after reconnecting battery so no need for tech 2 (bonus). It may have been that I had taken the car to Holden to get the original diagnosis and they cancelled the codes but the car was stil beping before the operation. Cost so far is $120 for a second hand SDM. Holden quoted $370 with a total of $630 incl installation!

Only problem now is the radio won't accept the pin code I have. Seems that the radio/CD is not the original installation and so am going to have to pay to get the code (bugger).
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i think all zeros or all ones gets the radio working temporarily
novice1

Post by novice1 »

:wall: Just a final post to say job done.

Spoke to the original car owner (my old man) and he seemed to recall that he may have had a problem with the CD during warranty.

Sure enough my friends at Holden were able to confirm that they had two radio pins on file for the car in the service history and sure enough the second radio serial number matched the one in the car now and the pin worked. Halleluya....

Think I'll put the tools away again for a while until I forget what a pain working on modern cars can be...

Cheers