Lifter failure

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Dec_head
cars: VR Calais

Re: Lifter failure

Post by Dec_head »

I have a set of lifters here from a motor that was never run before they were removed and changed to solids.

i'll throw them in with the standard cam.

I have used second hand lifters before in efi holden v8's when given a quick freshen up rings bearings etc and mixed them up and never had any fail but they were using stock cams .
Not that i would recommend it to anyone.
I do remember reading somewhere that some of the original lifters were better quality hardened or coated maybe.
Dec_head

Post by Dec_head »

I am thinking about advancing the cam it is coming back out soon anyway so it is just to try but i notice the rollmaster has A and R and The dot only 3 keyway notches A R . and i couldn't find any info if any relating to the holden v8.
I am assuming To advance the cam i line the A notch Up on the keyway then use the a outer mark A and use it as the 9 link reference point and it is advanced But by how much anyone know or have a spec sheet i don't have one and the romac site wasn't much help with holden v8's it didn't even mention the 9 link dot to dot.
vn5000
cars: vn v8 commodore

Post by vn5000 »

I fitted a crow cams chain and sprockets not long ago and it had small sprocket marked as 2 4 6 8 deg + and - with a slot for each from memory .
If you use a dial guage you should be able to work how much advance it gives .
Also with that pin that is a bit to long , are you sure the cam is out of inj motor and not an old carby one ?
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

hahaha good point the carby cams have the inlet and exhaust lobes all out of order, youll soon know when it doesnt start or blows your intake off :P
Dec_head

Post by Dec_head »

Yes it was out of an injected 5 litre but i never had the motor running it was one i pulled down so to check i compared the lobes to the crane cam and they all appear to be in the same spot just a tad shorter lol all except for one ofcourse.Maybe it was used in an early block with efi heads to run the fuel pump who knows i took the cam out and ground the locator down so all good to go now .
It is funny the rollmaster or romac site shows the sprockets the same as the crane package 2 4 6 8 degree offsets but the one i have only has 3 standard advance and retard.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

compare the distance between the keyway notches with the diagrams that show the 2 4 6 8 etc you should be able to get a fair idea of how much advanced it is from that.
Dec_head

Post by Dec_head »

Looks like it's about 2 degrees i did ring around and get conflicting info but it seems 2-3 degrees is correct.
Dec_head

Post by Dec_head »

All good back together and running fine I used that ultra black on the inlet either end instead of rubbers or cork and it seems to have done the job nicely no oil leaking or weeping so far.
I used the standard 12p v8 base tune it was way too lean but richened it up and all seems fine so far i think i need to play with the timing though.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

yeah as soon as you put a decent exhaust system on a 304 the standard tune is too lean, you need the 185 VE table, its richer accross the board.