Lifter failure

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Holden202T

Re: Lifter failure

Post by Holden202T »

if the engines been running it will be fine, its only on a new rebuild you have the problems.
vn5000
cars: vn v8 commodore

Post by vn5000 »

A common trick is to put some vaseline inside the oil pump on the gears , works for me every time.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

i just pump oil in the pressure switch hole works a treat.another cause for cam wear like that is idle too low with heavy springs just chews them up as they are splash feed with oil and at low rpm there is no oil splashed around.and as said late model oils are low in zinc etc witch helps the lifters run on a nice impact resistant surface choose wisely
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Dec_head
cars: VR Calais

Post by Dec_head »

Yeah i had the idle at 850 who knows every other lobe and lifter looks fine just that one failing seems a bit odd to me was on number two cylinder.
Throwing the stock cam in for now wich is a shame but i need to use the car.
Thinking about a crow cam similar spec at a later date.
What oil to use can be a confusing and conflicting conversation has anyone used anything particular on these specific motors for a long period of time and not had any trouble with large cams etc.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

I use penrite HPR 15 and so do 5 of my mates with 304's. only problem ive seen is a ground off lobe on one of the engines after 500k's but that was most likely coz he used 2nd hand lifters on his new cam and didnt bed it in for 20 mins.
Dec_head

Post by Dec_head »

Yeah cool i'll give it a go i always used to use penrite in my cars 5 years ago but lately i have a habit of buying whatever is on special.
Dec_head

Post by Dec_head »

This is odd i put the stock cam in lined up the marks etc using a rollmaster setup went to put the bolt and washer on the the cam sprocket and the locator pin on the camshaft is sticking out too far tried tapping it a little didn't budge anyone ever seen this before.

I think it may have come from a vn did they still have the fuel pump drive on them i can't remember or a washer with a hole in it maybe .
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Dec_head wrote:Yeah i had the idle at 850 who knows every other lobe and lifter looks fine just that one failing seems a bit odd to me was on number two cylinder.
it may have had a bit of metal shaving on it possibly .... or it could even be a faulty grind or lifter ... you really just can't know where to start
Dec_head

Post by Dec_head »

Yeah guess i'll never know just hope it doesn't happen again next time
I am going to have to go through a big bucket of bolts tomorrow and see if i can find the washer that came off this stock cam :roll:
For some strange reason the locator pin is longer.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

question ..... when you removed the old cam, did you keep the old lifters and put them in order somewhere ? cause if you bang them on the different lobes you'll likely end up smoothing out another lobe!