Welders

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Gampy

Re: Welders

Post by Gampy »

Totally agree with Mr. Braley ...

For Mig, I have an old school (non digital) Millermatic 250, it's served me well, kinda big for most but I do trucks and equipment as well as race stuff.

Remember, take care of the lead (liner), keep a clean wiper where the wire enters the liner, DO NOT hang the leads over a hook or the like, hang them over something large diameter to prevent liner damage.

For Tig, I have a really old Hobart Cyber Wave 300S, sweet machine, but too big. I needed something portable so I bought this package: Eastwood TIG 200 AC/DC Welder Versa Cut 40 & Cart Item #14037, I've been happy with it, no problems, it is what it is, would I buy it again ... Yes, it does it's job. however I would get the bigger Plasma torch. Says it can cut 3/8 but makes a mess of it, cuts 1/4 fine. and of course like most Plasma's you MUST have clean air.

As for offshore, it is what it is ... like most everything else manufactured these days, cheap electronics and engineered lifespans.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

Hi all, thanks for the replies and info. Thanks gampy for taking the time as well for sharing your knowledge. Its good that I can go looking with a bit more confidence as I’ve never had to buy a welder due to my old workplace had all of the machines and I use to play with my toys there.
Thanks again.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yep I bought unimig viper 180 last year. Ive been really happy with it and the price was good price too.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396