VS Commodore Central Locking

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
VSRaptor
cars: Vp Commodore V8
Vs Commodore ute V6

VS Commodore Central Locking

Post by VSRaptor »

I have a series 3 VS ute with the 2 button key fob. BCM I bought brand new and had 2 new key fobs programmed to the BCM out of the car. This was done in Nov last year 2018.
What I have noticed is that on really hot days in WA like over 35 and if the car sits out in the sun, the central locking using the key fob will not work. If I unlock the car manually by hand with key in the barrel, central works fine. Dead lock works fine. Once the tempt cools, the remote central works.
Any ideas on what causes this???
j_ds_au

Re: VS Commodore Central Locking

Post by j_ds_au »

VSRaptor wrote:I have a series 3 VS ute with the 2 button key fob. BCM I bought brand new and had 2 new key fobs programmed to the BCM out of the car. This was done in Nov last year 2018.
What I have noticed is that on really hot days in WA like over 35 and if the car sits out in the sun, the central locking using the key fob will not work. If I unlock the car manually by hand with key in the barrel, central works fine. Dead lock works fine. Once the tempt cools, the remote central works.
Any ideas on what causes this???
Sounds like the RF receiver module (which I understand sits under the centre of the dash and connects to the BCM, though I've not seen one in person) is drifting out of frequency (as compared to the fob) with temperature. Probably they mismatch to start with, and then drift further apart. Perhaps the RF receiver module has an ability to adjust its frequency slightly, I'm not sure.

Joe.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

yeah probably drift as above. I have had similar issues with VPs but I was not sure if it was the receiver or the fob, luckily the VP fobs has a trim cap for rf tuning and I have always been able to re-tune the fobs to suit the car.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VSRaptor
Vs Commodore ute V6

Post by VSRaptor »

OK thanks for that, never even heard of it before, I thought the bcm unit itself had something like the receiver built inside of it.
Can this part be purchased still from Amcap? Does it require any linking to the bcm once replaced?
VSRaptor
Vs Commodore ute V6

Post by VSRaptor »

I rang amcap in Welshpool WA and according to them, there is no RF reciever. They think that the BCM has the reciever inside it as a one complete unit.
Anyone has a factory manual on this?
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

Nope it’s in the bcm! Only vt onwards have it up the top with the sun sensor.
VSRaptor
Vs Commodore ute V6

Post by VSRaptor »

What I noticed just now, after the car has been sitting for a few hours, when I went to unlock it, the interior light illuminated but no indicator flash. I locked it, the indicator flash came on once but late after the door locked and the interior light went out. I tried again to unlock and it gave 2 indicator flashes, interior light on, locking it, the indicator flashed once at the same time as the door locked.
Does this indicate a fault somewhere? Can the BCM be reset with a scan tool?
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

vs ss wrote:Nope it’s in the bcm! Only vt onwards have it up the top with the sun sensor.
Gottcha! Thanks for that clarification.

That's going to make tweaking the receiver module frequency more tricky, if it's built into the BCM. That's assuming the receiver has an adjustment capability.

The fob itself effectively doesn't have an adjustment capability, you'd need to remove its LC capacitor, replace it with a slightly lower value one and try to squeeze a very small trimmer capacitor in parallel with this.

Joe.
picvrss
cars: Commodore VR Series II SS
Commodore VF Series II SSV Redline

Post by picvrss »

VSRaptor wrote:What I noticed just now, after the car has been sitting for a few hours, when I went to unlock it, the interior light illuminated but no indicator flash. I locked it, the indicator flash came on once but late after the door locked and the interior light went out. I tried again to unlock and it gave 2 indicator flashes, interior light on, locking it, the indicator flashed once at the same time as the door locked.
Does this indicate a fault somewhere? Can the BCM be reset with a scan tool?

The fact that there was any response at all to the fob button press - in this case, the flash of the indicators - tells me the problem is not one of mismatched transmitter/receiver frequencies.
Curious to know why a new BCM and matching fobs were purchased - was it because the old BCM exhibited the same problem?
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

picvrss wrote: The fact that there was any response at all to the fob button press - in this case, the flash of the indicators - tells me the problem is not one of mismatched transmitter/receiver frequencies.
I agree. The initial information and the latest information don't paint the same picture.

Yet "If I unlock the car manually by hand with key in the barrel, central works fine" makes this even more confusing, because it implies the locking mechanisms and the BCM control thereof are OK.

Joe.