Whos done a clutch on a VZ LS1 ?

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Holden202T

Whos done a clutch on a VZ LS1 ?

Post by Holden202T »

So my neighbour has asked me to help replace the clutch in his crewman, so im ok with replacing manual clutches, done plenty in my time, but i have never done a LS1/manual ....

just interested to know if there are any tips or tricks i need to know about before we dive into it ?

He wants the rear main replaced too, but that looks similar to a ecotec with the rear plate and full circle seal so that seems pretty straight forward too ?
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Re: Whos done a clutch on a VZ LS1 ?

Post by vs ss »

Yeah mate, all the normal stuff. You have to remove the hydraulic hose for the clutch, so when you bleed it keep an eye on the reservoir as you only get 1or 2 pumps before it’s empty. Depending on how you have the car ( on ground or hoist) the top bolt at the peak of the bell housing can be a bit tricky. Otherwise it’s the normal shifter, tailshaft, cross member etc.
That’s all that springs to mind and if I remember anything else I’ll add it on.
Oh and due to the concentric slave the bleed nipple is through the side of the bell housing, but you would of seen that when you have it out.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Thanks for the info, haven't done the job yet but looking at getting a new slave cyl and bearing for it while its all apart.
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Never done one but I've heard the crank is hollow, so pull the spigot out. Don't pack it with grease and try and get it out hydraulically
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

oh yeah good to know, i have a bent screwdrivers for thing like bearing cups to remove them so hopefully that fits!
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

Yeah that’s the best way, but a kit with clutch, spigot and slave. The factory spigots are needle roller but some give you the bronze one from the early holdens. ( good to see go kept something consistent) :lol:
So don’t be alarmed if it’s different. I know you’re a smart guy but just thought I’d mention it ;)
Cheers.