Holden Cruze coil pack reliability.

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
delcowizzid

Re: Holden Cruze coil pack reliability.

Post by delcowizzid »

Nice hack right there holden202t love it
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

ITS ALIVE!!!!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfrE_EPLGAc[/youtube]

Now to make some brackets for the coils so i can take it out of the driveway!
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Nice work!
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Well done! Should handle more boost fine :lol:
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Haha yeah but we already know the gearbox won’t!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Driving home from work friday i was barely 5 kms down the road when i came out of a corner, up-shifted early and loaded it up on boost and it started to miss! engine light flashed and all the usual shit ... anyways about 10km down the road it came good and i got home without another miss, but it prompted me to finish the LS1 coil conversion pending the likely imminent failure of the ebay coils (installed early feb)

So i set about fabricating up a bracket to attach to some very handily located threaded bosses on the block
IMG_4836.JPG
IMG_4836.JPG (251.5 KiB) Viewed 4491 times
I also got the chance to use the new lathe to turn up some alloy spacers for the coils, unforunately ran out of the larger diameter rod but it does the job!
IMG_4837.JPG
IMG_4837.JPG (351.56 KiB) Viewed 4491 times
IMG_4838.JPG
IMG_4838.JPG (137.44 KiB) Viewed 4491 times
There's just under an inch or so of clearance, thats good enough for me! Good thing bonnets are curved!
bonnet clearance.png
bonnet clearance.png (897.85 KiB) Viewed 4491 times
I would still like to see if i can find the right lead to go down into the plug hole and have a correct seal at the top of the head, but this gets me going for the time being and the FX doesnt need the leads at the moment anyways!
IMG_4844.JPG
IMG_4844.JPG (376.73 KiB) Viewed 4491 times
I will most likely not touch this again lol but i may end up cutting the plugs off and re-wiring them directly into my multi coloured loom and tidy it all up but for 4pm today it will get me back on the road!
IMG_4845.JPG
IMG_4845.JPG (384.23 KiB) Viewed 4491 times
And yes i did go for a test run around the block with that plug disconnected :roll: from what i can see its only a pcv return to inlet!
IMG_4846.JPG
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

:thumbup:
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

That's awesome
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

So its been almost a year and the only one issue i had was one of the wires came off the soldered plug, of course it was ground so i was dead in the water but i had the old coil pack in the boot and the tools to swap it on the side of the road.

So i have done a bit of googling to try and find a plug lead to use for this setup, i didnt really have much luck finding any definitive answers, but i did find a chev sonic (like barina) forum with this same conversion, and it had alot of info on part numbers for parts .... which turned up this!
plug.jpg
plug.jpg (91.73 KiB) Viewed 2656 times
I havent fitted it yet, but i am going to shortly as i have just bought some crimpers which will do these pins!

The same forum post suggested Ducati 937 or something plug leads work, however the only one i could find on ebay was $40 for 1 so i wasnt keen on that.

So with the FX now back together and running i wanted to finally get back its plug leads, so i went to supercheap auto today to see what they had which might work, and i had a feeling earlier barinas had a similar head but didnt use the COP coil pack, so i grabbed a box set of plug leads for a barina 2001-2005 and it just happened to be long boot plug ends which measured long enough to work, and also to my surprise the other end was the same as an LS1 coil plug!!

So some of the leads are longer than this one, but i can fix that, or find more of the shortly leads.

So below the right hand lead is the barina one, almost perfect if i can find the right dust seal to suit it and my head
new lead.jpg
I think once the wiring goes into that connector and the leads are all sorted it should be a pretty reasonable conversion :)