Holden Alloytec V6 running on Speeduino ECU

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Holden202T

Holden Alloytec V6 running on Speeduino ECU

Post by Holden202T »

So i have been working on a speeduino ecu for a while now, re-designing the open source one and adding things i wanted etc, and set it up to use ATX power supply plugs for easy of use.

Recently i had to get rid of the VZ ute so i had to strip all the bits out i wanted before hand, and that gave me the perfect test unit to try it on.

As you can see, i removed the drive by wire throttle and adapted a VN TB, also added a map and mat sensor, oh and i added a speedflow fitting to the end of the fuel rail so it wasnt returnless anymore (see the braided hose out the front of the left bank going to the fuel pressure regulator)
P1030217.JPG
P1030217.JPG (631.12 KiB) Viewed 2956 times
This is the speeduino board i made, as you can see from the pin layout in the middle, there is an arduino mega 2560 underneath which is the brains of the whole show (which can be seen in the pic above).
P1030222.JPG
P1030222.JPG (957.47 KiB) Viewed 2956 times
i then made a little interface board that would allow me to connect the atx cables to the stock Alloytec ECU plug, also added in the extra connections for map/mat etc.
IMG_6043.JPG
a few extra long header pins and its good to go!
P1030218.JPG
P1030218.JPG (476.29 KiB) Viewed 2956 times
Here is a little video of it running, i think its a bit lean hense the hunting, but its not smoking out the shed anymore!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwWx7lisbzw[/youtube]

Its only running in wasted spark mode and batch fire injectors at the moment, i would like to work out the cam pattern so it can be made into sequential, but thats no great issue at this point in time.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Holden Alloytec V6 running on Speeduino ECU

Post by antus »

Well done. This is definately one to watch :thumbup:
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Nice!

I did a Speeduino on a 4 banger toying around a few years back, it surely was not as nicely done.
Got it working and tossed it ... (recycled components)

Is the adapter board a one off, who did it??
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Is this able to control the cam phasers?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Gampy, the ECU PCB is Speeduino's design and i have just customised it to my needs, and the adaptor board is 100% my design to make the two talk ie. routed the ign ouputs to the right pins to match the alloytec firing order etc .... and both boards i got made and assembled ... it would be nice if i could find the proper plug for the ecu connector on the adaptor board, but it works non the less.

as far as being one offs, i got 5 of each PCB made and easy enough to get more.

cam control is the next challenge, as you can see on the adaptor board i have a jumper for which cam sensor to read, this is so i can collect all the data needed to hopefully get cam support in speeduino firmware for this.

once thats done and they release the sequential firmware thats getting well on the way ... i am also trying to get the info together on what i need to add to the PCB v2 for having cam control pins, then its just a matter of if the software can do it or not.

im still not sure if these things are a simple eg. at 4000rpm apply power to the cam phaser to change it or if its a pwm or constantly adjusting type of system ... but we'll get there eventually.

the latest speeduino firmware has a heap of programable outputs so hopefully all i need is in them, i just need to add some transistors etc and circuits to adruino pins for them all.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yeah if cam control gets sorted this would make an ideal solution for those running these engines in speedway and racing. As far as I know most people are not able to tune these correctly and just lock the cam phasers in place.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah it would be the icing on the cake thats for sure.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

imagine whacking in some huge cams but still be able to get decent off idle performance by advancing and spreading apart the lobes, then tightening and retarding them up top.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Are the cam phasers on the Alloytec on/off or infinitely variable between it's limits? How many degrees of total variation is available?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I recall reading 50 degrees but I’m not sure if that’s total or not