WK cluster in a VY

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
VX L67 Getrag

WK cluster in a VY

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

So I have a customer that has put a VZ cluster in a VY & obviously all the gauges aren't reading correctly & has warning's for ABS & everything else & wondered if any has done a dump read off VY & dumped it in a VZ cluster & works?

EDIT; Changed title seeing it wasn't a VZ cluster, but there is some good info in here about changing clusters.
Last edited by VX L67 Getrag on Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: VZ cluster in a VY

Post by antus »

I cant speak for certain, but I believe they'd be different firmware, and I think it'd be a case of manually copying the settings over, rather than a dump and load.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Yeah thats what I would have thought but when mapping the files out they look very similar, for reference I've attached the dumps off files in question.
Attachments
92155463 VZV8Auto_Cluster.bin
(512 Bytes) Downloaded 176 times
92160978 vy v6.bin
(512 Bytes) Downloaded 163 times
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

VX L67 Getrag wrote:Yeah thats what I would have thought but when mapping the files out they look very similar, for reference I've attached the dumps off files in question.
The firmware is the issue.

Also the VZ clusters have the fuel sent over communication line whereas VY use a physical wire.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

So even if I knew which parameters to change to get right apart from the obvious like tacho, ppk, air bags etc... it still wont work with fuel gauge anyway & it has the fans come on as soon as engine runs so I'm thinking it may be feeding back something to them too.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

OK so customer swears to me it's not a VZ cluster as they have blue plug & this is out of a WK so it should technically be able to do a dump I guess.

Those files I put up earlier were just examples & not the actual dumps that I'll be using.
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

Post up the instrument cluster part number and I’ll try an tell you what it’s out of.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Ok, thanks heaps... I’ll check it out this week!!!
So much work to do on this....
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

VX L67 Getrag wrote:So even if I knew which parameters to change to get right apart from the obvious like tacho, ppk, air bags etc... it still wont work with fuel gauge anyway & it has the fans come on as soon as engine runs so I'm thinking it may be feeding back something to them too.
Blue plug = VZ.
Grey plug = VY.

Which have you got?
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

I haven't pulled it out to confirm but been told it's grey & was told sticker on the back has 92181470

When I use cluster programmer it says software is 92157974

Being thats it's out of WK Caprice I managed to change from series 2 to series 1 fuel calibration to get guage working better, then I changed from auto to manual & got rid of PRNDL (but still throws trans oil overtemp & other trans fault on cluster only) & then I changed tacho ppr from 3 which is for v8 to 2 for v6 & seems happier.

It still has HEAPS of other faults throwing on cluster but the car has lots of other issues too so it's a matter of working through them ALL.