VY Dash code tinkering.

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Ken

VY Dash code tinkering.

Post by Ken »

Was considering delving into the dash side of things with regards to altering code within the chip on them, and was wondering if anyone else here has tinkered much on the subject.
I've done an extensive search and didn't find too much on the topic.
Was hoping someone knew of an interface cable, bought or home made, that I'd need to do the job.
I've had limited success using the obd1 aldl cable bought from here, though I'm thinking that the pins used on the obd plug may differ for the job I'm attempting to do.
Thanks.
The1

Re: VY Dash code tinkering.

Post by The1 »

To alter the odo or something else?

It's pretty much all been done i think, custom text and logos etc, switching modes, can be done via the bus. I think i have a sheet here somewhere if needed. Or likely been posted already.
Ken

Post by Ken »

My son wanted to know if I could turn another auto dash he had into a manual one, eliminating the auto letters down the bottom.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Yeah you can do that with software over the ALDL or can take dash out & read eeprom & alter it that way.

Tazzi on here has some software & possibly others around too.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Got around to finalizing my sons dash request today, piggy backing the chip on his dash and pulling the eeprom contents, editing it and flashing it back.
I also further edited an XDF I'd downloaded from here some time ago, adding some useful & not so useful entries into it.
The authors name is in the header, & added mine for the additions, hope it's OK to redistribute.
VY Dash Cluster.xdf
(24.75 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
Pic of some of the additions if anyones interested.
VY_Dash_XDF.png
Last edited by Ken on Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Updated the XDF above based on what I found after using the Aust Arrow software.
The1

Post by The1 »

Nice work :thumbup:
L67PSI
cars: L67 VT Calais

Post by L67PSI »

Hi Ken, were you able to take the read directly from the cluster without de-soldering? Or using an adapter like the SOP8 adapter?
Ken

Post by Ken »

The1 wrote:Nice work :thumbup:
Thanks mate..

L67PSI wrote:Hi Ken, were you able to take the read directly from the cluster without de-soldering? Or using an adapter like the SOP8 adapter?
Hi mate, yeah I read and flashed back without de-soldering using a piggy back connector (for the want of a better terminology) connected to my GQ4X programmer.
Just had to massage /shorten the plastic on the connecting end of the clamp a little with some fine sandpaper to get the end contoured enough to go deep enough over the chip to make good contact.
SOIC8.jpg
SOIC8.jpg (157.86 KiB) Viewed 3899 times
Phoenix
cars: 1983 Chevy C10
1993 Ford Mustang LX 5.0
2004 Pontiac GTO
2005 Pontiac GTO

Post by Phoenix »

Ken wrote:Updated the XDF above based on what I found after using the Aust Arrow software.
Good stuff! Would you y chance be able to post a bin file for the cluster? Also do you know if this would work on a 2004 GTO?