Electrical noise causing comms errors.

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
JohnDee68
cars: L36 Vx Series 2 8/2002 Acclaim Wagon 3.8L ECOTEC II.

Electrical noise causing comms errors.

Post by JohnDee68 »

Hi guys, not sure what topic this should be under. Sorry if it is in the wrong area.

It seems i could be experiencing electrical noise which is recently causing excessive errors in communication between the OBD2 connection (ALDL on my Vx Commodore) and my laptop. I have checked cable wiring and seems fine.

It seems to only happen under engine load and also noticed at above 55 kmph coasting. Well, when most noticeable under load.
There doesn't seem to be any high voltage breakdown that I can hear, see or feel by engine misfires etc.

I was hoping that anyone else who might have experienced similar, could give me some idea as to what you found may have resolved the issue? Like Alternator, HT leads, plugs, coil packs possibly.
I would also be interested in any thoughts or tricks as to how I could try to check if there is a fault with something like alternator, coil packs, leads, plugs, which could be the cause of noise on the 12v side using a basic set of tools.

thanks.
Gareth

Re: Electrical noise causing comms errors.

Post by Gareth »

Ensure you have resistor type spark plugs fitted, non resistor create havoc
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
JohnDee68
cars: L36 Vx Series 2 8/2002 Acclaim Wagon 3.8L ECOTEC II.

Re: Electrical noise causing comms errors.

Post by JohnDee68 »

Gareth wrote:Ensure you have resistor type spark plugs fitted, non resistor create havoc
OK, is that easily known by their part number or will I need to measure their resistance to know for sure?