cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Question about global A and techline

Post by Cincinnatus »

So I need to replace an ECM on 2012 Buick Lucerne. I was going to try a used one and read about prepare to remove (and I've seen that option as I've used sps before, just not for global A). I read you can install used ECM in new vehicle and then choose prepare to remove. Do I have to license the old and the new vins? Has anyone done this? Should I try bench and do the prepare to remove? Thanks
Last edited by Cincinnatus on Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Re: Question about global A

Post by ironduke »

Best of luck.. I have had some random luck with used global A modules but your not supposed to be able to so I wouldn't be surprised if you can't do this especially with the new and 'improved' sps2 that's inside Techline Disconnect..
What ecu is it? Is there a label with a 3 digit ecu ID like E92? E78? I think it's an E37, 4 cylinder?

As far as licensing you should only have to purchase a vin license for the vin you want in the ecm.. Your talking about GM programming, right? not trying to use aftermarket tuning software?
Cincinnatus
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

I logged in to tds since it has been months. Site looks same as I remember. I've read all the posts about current problems. I'm in USA and don't know if that makes a difference. I read on mhhauto forum, user julespatch claimed he installed used ECM in new vehicle and performed prepare for removal using donor vehicles Vin, then used new Vin and performed install programming. The post was from 2016 or 2018 I think, but I've read about more problems than successes. Used ECM often come from vehicles you could never perform the procedure on, so was hoping someone knows what will work. I don't have vehicle ECM yet, but just asking as I diagnosed intermittent parasitic on ECM circuit. Thanks
Cincinnatus
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Ok, I'm not done figuring this out, but gonna share and consult those who know much more than I. So I installed techline on win 10 home even though it says need pro. Got it to recognize nano and looked good for connect to car. Tested old tech2win and gds2 and no longer see cable or have license. Updated everything nano related to newest. Got tech2win working again, no luck gds2, and broke techline in the process. What is the difference between home and pro and am I wasting time trying to make techline and nano crack work on home?
ironduke

Re: Question about global A and techline

Post by ironduke »

I know people that have had it working on windows 10 home before, but they've been updating it and fucking it up every time they update it so I have no idea at this point..

Is techline still broken? Is it doing the famous shutting down in the middle of trying to access a J2534 device?(your nano) or is it something else..

I'm afraid I don't have a nano really to test with myself, nor do I have any home versions of windows 10, I do have an old gm mdi clone that is one of the first pieces of mdi clones that identifies as a nano, I've done some testing with that at home but I refuse to install techline disconnect in the home computer for fear it's going to muck up everything else I have installed and running.. I really don't think you need pro, I just know they don't give you any support unless the computer meets their specs, heck even AMD processors give them an excuse to kick you to the curb.

I just messaged someone I know that used his nano a month ago to program his truck using sps2 from inside techline, asking if he had home or pro, I'll let you know when he gets back to me..

Someone else might chime in there but for the nano to work you just need the dll and the registry entry to point to the dll for the nano.. Does the Nano show up as a choice frim gds2? sps2? or when connecting with techline disconnect?

When trying to connect with gds2 or sps2 or even at the start of techline connect when you click connect you might need to reset the connection to be able to see the nano.. You also need to make sure your running tlc as administrator or else you won't be able to renew the gds2 lease or the tech2win lease, also need to open up tech2win from inside tlc using the support tab and then selecting tech2win and starting it that way. Once you have the correct pcmia bin loaded and 30 day lease you can then open it from the desktop..
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

If trying to use techline connect, you only need to install the "J2534 Passthrough" from the VX Diag Manager installer.

Do not install anything else for tech2win or GDS2 from the VX Manager, or any kinda of "Crack" as this will cause all kinda of problems.

Next, I believe techline SPS2 has removed the "prepare for removal" option, and its suppose to de-link and relink security of the module automatically. Unfortunately this does not work, I have entire thread/posts about this.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Cincinnatus
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Thanks for the responses. I had nano connected with techline, just hadn't tried connecting to car yet. My old crack stuff was working before and it's what I use for diagnostics. I used nano in past with sps but has been months since I used it. I'll report if I get it all sorted. I have AMD processor too so we'll see what happens.
ironduke

Post by ironduke »

Cincinnatus wrote:Thanks for the responses. I had nano connected with techline, just hadn't tried connecting to car yet. My old crack stuff was working before and it's what I use for diagnostics. I used nano in past with sps but has been months since I used it. I'll report if I get it all sorted. I have AMD processor too so we'll see what happens.
Just wanted to clarify, it should still work ok with an AMD processor, I just know they will refuse support if you have anything less than a 6th gen I3 or an AMD processor..
Cincinnatus
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Update, I was wrong about ECM. It seems to be the ipc intermittently waking everything on the network up and killing the battery overnight (3 amp draw). Has anyone put in a used cluster and programmed it? Also, it is a 2010 Buick lacrosse, not a 2012 Lucerne. Thanks
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Cincinnatus wrote:Update, I was wrong about ECM. It seems to be the ipc intermittently waking everything on the network up and killing the battery overnight (3 amp draw). Has anyone put in a used cluster and programmed it? Also, it is a 2010 Buick lacrosse, not a 2012 Lucerne. Thanks
That should be pre global A I believe. So will be a matter of programming the calibrations (if required) and configuring with tech2win. Do note that odometer will not be programmable with tech2win.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726