A place For General Chit Chat Etc
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Re: Question about global A and techline

Post by MudDuck514 »

Cincinnatus wrote:Update- I haven't tested programming yet but thought I would share my struggle. So if I install techline it corrupts my nano diagnostic software and after a few attempts I found the two cannot exist together. I wanted to boot clone of windows from external drive (flash-windows would not clone to it- or HDD) but my budget Asus laptop wasn't having it and my bios is newest version. I cloned original drive and installed new clone as primary and it boots fine. I partitioned new clone and tried to install another clone of windows on new partition so I can boot from either, but couldn't get it to work where windows would let me choose which OS to boot. I assume it didn't recognize another OS as it was a clone. So I installed original HDD in optical caddy and tried booting from it and got error. Windows32 system.efi file missing. Now this HDD booted fine when connected as primary. I rebooted on cloned HDD and while Asus start screen was on, it said hit any key to skip, or it would repair HDD. I let it do it's thing, and afterwards, it will boot from either HDD, I just have to choose in bios which I want. So even after searching and never found where anyone else had done this, it can be done. One copy windows, two separate bootable copies so you can run separate configurations of it. I'll update if techline will work on win 10 home with budget processor AMD A6 and only 4gb ram. Tried to upgrade ram but PC won't post after install. Motherboard has to come out for ram which is ridiculous.

You might want to try a program called Win2USB.
I was able to make a bootable USB HDD and a flash drive both.

Mike
Cincinnatus
cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Thanks, I'll check that out. I didn't want to install windows and software though. I wanted to use existing setup and boot external or internal from partition or dual drives. Cloning is so much easier and faster, and I didn't have to buy another copy of windows.
MudDuck514
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Cincinnatus wrote:Thanks, I'll check that out. I didn't want to install windows and software though. I wanted to use existing setup and boot external or internal from partition or dual drives. Cloning is so much easier and faster, and I didn't have to buy another copy of windows.
If you can make an .iso image of an existing HDD, there is an app called Ventoy that will allow .iso files to run from a flash drive.
I have a 128GB flash drive with a whole bunch of .iso files (installers, so do NOT know for sure if windows will run).

Mike
Cincinnatus
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

In order to run ventoy, windows would have to be running I assume. So running an iso from windows would be like running a VM wouldn't it? I don't have but one experience with running a VM, and it was poor. I also don't know about installing software on a running VM. The clone method with booting windows from a drive from bios is a pure and stable method in which I can install software without concern of corrupting my other OS or conflicts.
MudDuck514
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Ventoy creates a bootable flash drive. Once in the menu, you choose an .iso.
Only problem I see, you wouldn't be able to add any apps to Windows.
If it can run as a stand alone, that won't be an issue though.

Mike
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Mudduck514,
Are you thinking along the lines of making an iso image of an installation and using Ventoy to boot that or going through an install each time ??

Cincinnatus,
Dual booting windows is very possible, including multiple copies of the same windows installation.
Don't know what Windows version you're working with, however I personally do not like the Windows 10 boot manager, it fully boots Windows 10 before giving you the option to choose then it shuts windows 10 down and reboots into your selection ...

I'm pretty sure it requires a second running compatible system to create the clone of the non running installation you want to use.
Then again, I don't install third party apps to do so, maybe they can ...

I use either FreeBSD or Win7 for boot managers!
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Cincinnatus
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

I got techline installed and it looks like it will work. I'll test it soon.
Gampy, I put a clone of my windows OS on a partition of my cloned HDD and expected windows to allow me to choose which OS at startup, which it did not do, so I assumed it didn't recognize the partition as another windows OS since it was the exact same as what was running. It never gave me an option to choose after windows started. Anyway, I prefer a separate HDD in case I screw it up so at least I have one that works.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

It will ... What version of Windows ??

You need to tell the boot manager, it won't just do it automatically.

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Cincinnatus
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Win 10, boot manager is set to 10 secs to decide which OS, but it never saw the partition as a bootable OS. Remember I am cloning an installed OS, not creating one. I'm no expert on what windows does during install, but I know it sets up the disk a certain way for boot. I've encountered problems in the past configuring a disk to boot. I've dual booted before, once with two versions windows, which worked fine, and another was windows and Ubuntu and I forget what managed the boot option, but it also worked fine. Both were partitioned, but I installed the OS so it configured during install. I think it's an issue with placing a cloned OS on the partition versus installing it.
Also, I've never tried to run an OS from an image, only used iso image as a virtual disk to install an OS or software.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Cincinnatus wrote:Win 10, boot manager is set to 10 secs to decide which OS, but it never saw the partition as a bootable OS. Remember I am cloning an installed OS, not creating one. I'm no expert on what windows does during install, but I know it sets up the disk a certain way for boot. I've encountered problems in the past configuring a disk to boot. I've dual booted before, once with two versions windows, which worked fine, and another was windows and Ubuntu and I forget what managed the boot option, but it also worked fine. Both were partitioned, but I installed the OS so it configured during install. I think it's an issue with placing a cloned OS on the partition versus installing it.
Also, I've never tried to run an OS from an image, only used iso image as a virtual disk to install an OS or software.
I'm no expert either, but I do know what disk prep and boot configuration Windows does during install, I do know how to manually create what it does, I have done so ...

I now know you can dual boot two Windows 10 installations, with that knowledge I am very confident it will also boot a clone of an installation if done right!

I'll say it again,
I suspect if your partition was correctly created, the cloned image was correctly created and written, then properly setup in Windows 10 boot manager it would have worked ...
I know for a fact it does in Windows 7.

Again, it is not going to just find it, it is not going search for it, it is not going to just automatically add itself to the boot menu, you must add it yourself, manually!
This would typically be done by the installation process ... You are the installation process, that means you need to do the work!

After you add it to the Boot Manager, if it complains it's not a bootable partition, then it's likely one of the two following reasons, the partition was incorrectly created or the clone image was incorrectly created or written.

I would not waste my time trying to run an OS or anything (other then an install) from an image ...