Question about global A and techline

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Gampy

Re: Question about global A and techline

Post by Gampy »

Yes you can download windows media and create bootable installation media ... See: Create installation media for Windows.

If you want all the stuff that came delivered on that machine, it might have a media creation tool, some do, some don't.

Obviously if it tried to repair it, it was damaged in some way ...
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
FriskyDingo

Post by FriskyDingo »

Cincinnatus wrote:Gampy, I know I'm not hiding the other drives, but I'm always running from the c: directory so I'll never have problems like I did when running from d: directory. Curious, how do you use windows to make a clone of itself? If it requires command line knowledge, I'll stick with letting 3rd party software do the work.
Frisky, are you running windows 10 on a ten year old machine?
Yes.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-02-13 225312.png
Screenshot 2022-02-13 225312.png (26.7 KiB) Viewed 2373 times
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

Just a couple things, might be off topic slightly..

I am running both vmware workstation 16 and Oracle VM virtualbox depending on the image and I have used both at the same time, no problems here.. To me it's a lot easier than running dual boot and windows 10 does do it in a funny way imo, makes it a pita to me.. Your wanting to run the exact same operating system with same auth keys/activation I cannot say I have done so maybe dual boot is indeed the answer for you..
I can also make one vm image, throw it on a thumbdrive and load it on a different computer.. I have 1 image for tis2000 with mdi support and just transferred it and run it as needed at whichever location I'm at.. Obviously I have it already transferred since that process can take awhile..

I learned something about windows 10 a little while ago, might have been something you were fighting.. Something to do with windows 10 shutting down and hard drive detection.. I simply wanted to add a hard drive, not an operating system drive, just a plain old hard drive.. if I used my USB to sata adapter it would load up and I could access the drive, but once I took the case apart and physically added the drive to the motherboard it failed to see it, bios saw it but the OS was just blind.. tried multiple things, nothing.. Saw a post somewhere about performing a hard shutdown where you press and hold the power button for the 5 or 6 seconds it takes for it to completely shut down.. Well next boot up the drive popped up immediately.. If I remember right had something to do with the way windows 10 quick boots and skips some steps because it's supposed to do them as it's shutting down.. One of the steps about looking at added drives cd roms gets skipped on shutdown and bootup for some reason.. That's about the only time a hard shutdown actually fixed something instead of causing a problem, lol..
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

FriskyDingo wrote:
Cincinnatus wrote:Gampy, I know I'm not hiding the other drives, but I'm always running from the c: directory so I'll never have problems like I did when running from d: directory. Curious, how do you use windows to make a clone of itself? If it requires command line knowledge, I'll stick with letting 3rd party software do the work.
Frisky, are you running windows 10 on a ten year old machine?
Yes.

It will run on older hardware than that!
I have it running on an old Dell Optiplex 780 with a Core2 Duo@3.16GHz, with 8GB Ram.
Works flawlessly - installed it 3 years ago or so.

Mike
Cincinnatus
cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Well those are both higher end processors of their time so I guess I'm not too surprised they run a newer OS. I also was thinking that windows 10 was exclusively 64 bit but I googled and discovered it was offered in 32 bit. I've always used mid to lower end processors or budget buys of tech knowing it will be obsolete soon enough. Moore's law due to expire unless some new process comes to be, although I think modern PC's are sufficient to handle anything most humans want to accomplish. Was reading that ram registers become unstable at storing a bit due to migrating charge when getting much smaller than current (x) nanometer die sizes. Process just to make current processors requires some incredible technology. Curious what the future holds...
Cincinnatus
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Ironduke, I think I remember after first adding optical caddy HDD, windows booted and I didn't see drive listed. I wasn't sure if my motherboard supported an optical drive as it didn't come with one. So I restarted and went to bios to find it, it was there and I tried to boot from it and got the error ***.EFI file missing. Tried couple more times, then restarted on primary hdd and then some process (bios or windows) while Asus screen was on performed a disk repair or configuration (I don't recall what it stated) and then disk was present in windows and I was able to restart and boot from it.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

I guess it's missing it's Electronic Fuel Injection file ... :P :lol:

Y'all be missing one important tidbit of understanding!

I'll explain with one acronym ... UEFI
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Cincinnatus
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

I googled all about the change from mbr to UEFI while struggling to get a flash drive and external hdd to boot from USB. Funny thing, the HDD that errored as missing the windows.efi was the old primary HDD that worked fine as primary, just got error when installed in optical caddy and then trying to boot. And there was a small EFI partition on that drive
jack tang

Post by jack tang »

You can install a used ECM for your car. The old ECM needs to clear the security code and VIN before it can be used on your car. You need to get the 27 seeds of the old module and the four-digit anti-theft security code, then erase the information of the old module through the XBUS command, and finally write the information of your vehicle through SPS!