MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Re: Question about global A and techline

Post by MudDuck514 »

Gampy wrote:Mudduck514,
Are you thinking along the lines of making an iso image of an installation and using Ventoy to boot that or going through an install each time ??
I was referring to making an image to be booted from the flash drive.
One would NOT have to install anything to the flash drive other than Ventoy - you simply copy an .iso to the flash drive. So, only make an image once.
You could put an .iso of whatever Linux variant you wanted, and perhaps use it to make an .iso of the HDD.
I do not know enough about Linux to know if if supports the task or would need an additional app.
Then again, I create a 50 - 100GB partition on MY HDD for windows (Depends on Windows version and HDD size), and use the rest for storage.

Mike

P.S. These are on mine:
android-x86-9.0-r2.iso
DragonOS_Focal_PublicR18.iso
Hiren's.BootCD.15.2.iso
pmagic_2013_08_01.iso
ubcd538.iso
ubuntu-18.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso
Windows-7-64-bit-multi.iso
Windows XP Professional SP3 Dell OEM.ISO

The 2 Windows .iso files are INSTALLERS, while the others are LiveCD - meaning they boot a full OS.
Cincinnatus
cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Mike, my whole need for dual windows is that techline corrupts my gm diagnostic software when installed. So I want another copy (clone) of my functional installed OS (and don't want to go through the headache and time of installing (buying) windows, drivers, software, updates) so I can install techline on one copy of windows and have my diagnostic software on the other copy.
Btw, if anyone else uses vcx nano as a diagnostic tool with it's gm software like I do, when installing techline, you need to uninstall all vx diag software except for the j2534 passthrough driver. If you don't, techline will fumble at the checking lease screen multiple times before finally stating not all software updated. This did not occur the first time I installed it (when I discovered I could no longer use any of the vx diag software ( it would not see the interface or have a functional lease)).
Also, I used easeus todo backup to clone a drive for free (trial) years ago and it worked great. I also used minitool partition wizard (free) and it works as well.
Cincinnatus
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Gampy, I assumed it was some type of configuration issue as my old primary HDD would not boot from the optical caddy position until the Asus bios performed some kind of disk repair. Now both drives boot fine from bios. One reason I prefer dual drives is I remember from past problems that some programs would try to install by default into c: and if I'm using partition d: then I obviously would have problems. Now, when running from either HDD I'm always in c: filesystem so never have any conflicts. I also remember software problems because they couldn't find c: or d: files while I was using d: partition. I probably could have gotten my other partition to boot, but that was just a thought when I couldn't get external to boot from USB, maybe because this bios sucks on this cheap laptop.
FriskyDingo

Post by FriskyDingo »

Why don't you use virtualbox? Then you can have a seperate OS for each diagnostic app if you please.
Cincinnatus
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Never heard of virtual box, but this is the cheapest processor AMD makes (a6-9225), so I suspect it will struggle to run virtual anything. I also prefer to stick with what I know will work until it won't, then I'll learn something new to solve the problem. I am better solving hardware problems than software. I don't know programming, but understand PC's well enough that I can usually figure out how to make something work. I really appreciate this forum and all the sharing of knowledge and assistance. I'm gonna share what little I know in hopes it helps someone else solve a problem I've solved.
FriskyDingo

Post by FriskyDingo »

Cincinnatus wrote:Never heard of virtual box, but this is the cheapest processor AMD makes (a6-9225), so I suspect it will struggle to run virtual anything. I also prefer to stick with what I know will work until it won't, then I'll learn something new to solve the problem. I am better solving hardware problems than software. I don't know programming, but understand PC's well enough that I can usually figure out how to make something work. I really appreciate this forum and all the sharing of knowledge and assistance. I'm gonna share what little I know in hopes it helps someone else solve a problem I've solved.
My laptop was made in 2012 and runs it perfectly
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Dang I'm slow, three new messages while writing this ...

I have never had any luck with virtual machines, they always seem to wind up screwing me, that is why I have multiple workstation around me.

Mudduck514,
Gotcha, I understand now ...

Cincinnatus,
So you have a working arrangement using the boot drive choice in the bios ... Ok, if that works for you, cool. :thumbup:
However, you are not hiding one from the other in doing so unless you physically pull the unused drive, it can still do all the things you are concerned about ... Basically no different then different partitions on the same drive.

For my own purposes (I have to know), I am currently going through the process of creating a Windows 10 Dual boot with a clone of itself ... Very similar as I do in Win7, with nothing more then Windows provided tools.
Other then the dual boot part, this technique is also how I backup my workstations, so it's a good idea to verify it works good on Win10 as I have not done so yet! :oops:

For whomever it may help, Windows attaches it's license to both the Harddrive and Motherboard, as long as it finds one of them it will re-license. ;)
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Cincinnatus
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Gampy, I know I'm not hiding the other drives, but I'm always running from the c: directory so I'll never have problems like I did when running from d: directory. Curious, how do you use windows to make a clone of itself? If it requires command line knowledge, I'll stick with letting 3rd party software do the work.
Frisky, are you running windows 10 on a ten year old machine?
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Simply stated,
Create the partition you want to install the clone on
Boot from Windows Installation Media
Select Repair your computer
Select Command Prompt
Use DISM to create and apply the image
Use BCDEDIT to add it to the Boot Manager

I have to write it up for certification, maybe I'll post it when done.

You can configure Windows to run on any drive letter your heart desires!
When Dual Booting they (Microsoft) all boot up in C: ...

I have Windows 10 on Sony Vaio i3's and on HP DC7600's ...
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Cincinnatus
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

I don't have a copy of windows 10 installation media, though I read you can download an iso to USB for free from Microsoft. I bought this PC with windows 10 installed, and though it has a recovery partition, I'm not sure how I would utilize it without a bootable usb flash drive, since this laptop didn't have an optical drive in it. I've used a DVD drive to USB before to repair windows 7 on a laptop with no drive, but I'm not very familiar with windows 10. Most of my learning was 98 and XP, though most things function similarly.
Also, after placing the cloned OS on the partition, windows decided to repair the installation. Afterwards, when I booted again, it didn't offer an option, which is probably where I errored in thinking it didn't see it as a viable boot option.
I didn't know you could boot from d: partition (created as d: while in first OS) and have it run as c:. My prior experience had d: running as d: and I had occasional problems.