antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Windows Server - No pain no gain

Post by antus »

you would be best of using some cloud provider and let them deal with the HA database and filesystem, and the load balancer in front, but it would cost. You could also cobble something together where the app has an API where it can query another copy itself. You could have a shared secret token for auth, and the app could request and pull the data from the other node when it finds it needs it. they could also be built to sync up every night or something like that. you could even put the data in an sqlite database and then just sync up the file systems including the files and the db, even with something like dropbox. but you'd want something like a master/slave config so you dont get a race condition on the DB or get out of sync.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Yeah, that starts to get over complicated like that.

On my home connection, using a PHP relay to my windows app.. I simulated around 100 'users' connections and that was about the max my connection could handle before there was quite a bit of lag occurring. I do not expect to deal with that many up front, but Id like to know it wont be an issue in the future. So the windows server should be able to deal with that happily.

For now its just all a learning curve! Ill be back onto setting up this windows server shortly, just got to finish off a bit of OBDX testing before migrating back to this.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

I love how I have a bunch of searches on my site for "envyous customs windows server login". :lol:
To the troll reading my posts.. the fact you went to my linux based website... and used the stores search button for that... has made my day :lol: :thumbup:
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Some people are that stupid ...
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Tre-Cool
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car

Post by Tre-Cool »

if you want to go the home route. i have a dell blade M1000e chassis with 4 dell poweredge M610's you can have for free at my workshop.

Gonna need a couple of 15 amp power points though to power it all. lol

Free for anyone that wants them in Perth. I just want it gone.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Tre-Cool wrote:if you want to go the home route. i have a dell blade M1000e chassis with 4 dell poweredge M610's you can have for free at my workshop.

Gonna need a couple of 15 amp power points though to power it all. lol

Free for anyone that wants them in Perth. I just want it gone.
Sounds a touch overkill for what Im after :lol:
Thanks for the offer though!
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Tazzi:

What about pulling 2 of the server blades and using the other 2 for your machine, keeping the others for spares?

Mike
FriskyDingo

Post by FriskyDingo »

At my workplace each station has a 'pod' a linux touchscreen pc, and the software is coded in java. Its absolute trash! I'm sorry I just had to vent.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

FriskyDingo wrote:java
Amazing how powerful one word can be, at explaining the issue!
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

A home server for myself would only require a basic intel NUC (or other mini pc) since its not having to deal with multiple thousands of people a day.
It would only be suitable as a 'backup' system in the event the main windows server goes down. Since I cannot guarantee fast recovery times if power or internet goes out, theres honestly nothing worse then trying to use an application which has lost comms to the server.

I have been asked a few times why I am bothering with a windows server, its to condense and simplify. The apps I have been writing are getting so complex, that its no longer feasible trying to create the code I need in PHP. Along with some of the apps I need to run are windows specific.

First and foremost though is having this windows server working the way it should.