Windows Server - No pain no gain

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Windows Server - No pain no gain

Post by Tazzi »

Linux is great, but, not when you need to run custom windows applications.
I could learn to create everything in java/python/php, but this requires alot of learning, plus extremely slow to develop when not proficient!

Main task here is to have asp.net applications responding to standard web calls.
Sounds like an easy task right? But as you could already guess... it absolutely... is not. :roll:

This is going to be a bit of a learning saga/topic so I can at least document what I do so I can learn as I go along, and reflect if ever needing to go back.

So far, there have been ZERO tutorials which have everything all in one to get going. I have successfully got an app running in a virtual machine which can be requested from the webbrowser, to achieve this I did the following:
1) Add DHCP, Domain Controller, ISS and .net core dependencies to Windows server
2) Add a new domain to the server
3) Add a new application to the domain (app name must match application name entered, and then add path to application)
4) Port forward to the PC, then Direct request from PC to virtual machine IP.
5) Use ddns supplier to auto update server IP so domain name always points to correct IP addess (As its not static)

I could do all of the above on a dedicated computer, but this then means ensuring power/internet are never out (which happens), and a 1gbps up/down connection is around $300/mth... so hosting is clearly the cheaper option.
The above is obviously also more complex then it should be due to the virtual machine. But.. as its been quite some time since my initial testing and setup of this, I am now repeating it but on a dedicated windows server so I am bound to hit a bunch of snags.

First and foremost.. where to actually setup host.
Well.. I started looking at barebone VPS where I can directly load some sort of iso/img, but the cheap ones wanted to use some sort of hypervisor script/link to install, and expensive ones ($60+ per month) would take an img/iso but then also had addons for everything else.

So, I am currently looking at a dedicated windows VPS (all setup for me already) with 3cpu, 4gb ram and 100gb ssd for a whopping $13usd a month. Whether this is actually any good.. remains to be found out. But at a minimum, I shouldnt have memory issues.. at least not for now. This place is called database mart, I dont expect the craziest server speed, but it will do for now.

Currently waiting for the VPS to be setup and ready to go, but hopefully I can easily enough remote in. I have not figured out how to set that up via a console... I have been 100% reliant on an actual desktop view too :lol:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Tazzi

Re: Windows Server - No pain no gain

Post by Tazzi »

So far so good. They actually automatically email you with RDP credentials to get setup and running. Was into the windows server in 2mins.

Checking upload and download speed, sitting at around 600mpbs both up and down, so Im happy with that!

Processors are Intel Xeon E5 2.6GHz, running really well.
Just got it doing a shitload of updates currently before starting the install process which Ill document here as I go.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Its a pitty you need 'custom windows apps'. I think you'd be better off going any other way. Windows will do what you need but I would not go the ASP direction. Thats kinda old and crap. If its just APIs, consider AWS serverless too. But that might also have a steep learning curve for you. In my day job we do a lot of this stuff in Ruby which is fantastic, again, once your over the learning curve. We can do a lot, very easily, with very little code. If you ever decided to work for someone else as a dev and have Ruby skills you'd be winning too. There is a shortage of skilled devs who know it, and some of the big players a paying very well so holding the pay high. Remote work often too. (also just throwing that out there to help get others in to it so they can come to my employer and solve our staffing problems hehe).
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

I think your spot on with using AWS serverless.
Last I used it, it was using a VM which added up quite fast.

I think the plan is to give the AWS serverless option a go after I have the Microsoft server up and running and working correctly with asp apps. Simply because I know this is a working option to at least have something sorted.

Then try setup and work with AWS serverless. Both can then be compared and see which will be easier to manage/maintain along with costs.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

To be honest a single windows VPS will probably be able to handle your load requirement. And its flat rate, probably not too steep. ASP isnt a good technology though.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

antus wrote:To be honest a single windows VPS will probably be able to handle your load requirement. And its flat rate, probably not too steep. ASP isnt a good technology though.
Yeah, its just what Microsoft is pushing for web development.

Previously, I developed apps in C# with a socket connection to the linux server. Basically used the server as just a relay.
So it was:
App <-post web request-> Linux sever using PHP <-socket connection-> App on a dedicated computer.

Im trying to compress the requirement of having a computer at home being dedicated to doing the above. Technically... the same thing does run on the windows server.. I could do the exact same socket connection.. and the server should always remain online.

I figured being able to take direct post/get requests and processing just seemed alot smarter. :thumbup:
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

yeah doing it the same or similar on win will stop you needing 2 machines and being vendor locked in. that might be a good thing later.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Biggest concern is down time. If something requires an online connection, then the actual server itself cannot go down.
I am all for learning, so if there is an alternative path.. even if its a backup system, then I am all for it.
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Hi all,

Tazzi, sounds like you need to run a Cluster of 2 identical Servers with Fail-over protection so if one goes down, the other is still on-line.

Mike
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

The paranoid side of me believes I would need a backup server.. but even if I get the system to redirect to a hmoe based server in the event the primary one is down (or doing updates). Biggest thing is I would need to share databases somehow which becomes a bit of a night mare.