cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

What is this???

Post by Charlescrown »

My guess is it's a pulsation damper. If I'm correct can I leave it out? It's a VR Commodore intank pump suffering the normal broken return hose problem but when I took it apart the rubber components were just mush. I think the fuel I was buying was loaded with incompatible rubbish. I'll stick with either BP or Shell from now on after problems with 3 cars.
Attachments
IMG20220516175134.jpg
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: What is this???

Post by vlad01 »

Yes that is a fuel pulsator. AC delco part FP27. Ideally you want it there to smooth the fuel delivery.

What fuel did you use?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Been using 98 from Speedway Petroleum. As I said this is the third car where the fuel pump has had it. I admit I don't run/drive them much but the effect on rubber components shouldn't be happening.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I had a similar thing with BP 95 10 years ago. Killed a bunch of pumps (mainly the check valves) and kept filling my tank with ultra fine red dust. Stopped as soon as I stopped using 95 fuel. Now I use use E10 where I can and 91, 98 only for my good cars.

I didn't have a problem with rubber though, just red dust.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Perhaps you might know the part number for this. It's a suport rubber at the bottom of the pump.
Attachments
IMG20220517170251.jpg
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Unfortunately no, never seen replacements for them. Holy shit, what was in that fuel? Thinners?
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I agree with your comment. I ahve no idea but they sell a big quantity here is Sydney. I have been buying diesel fuel for one on my cars for 12 years and the other 6 and never had an issue but the petrol is another story. Just trying to fix the return line in the tank. It turned to absolute mush and broke off.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I tested e85 on all the fuel system components submerged in a container for several months which included the in tank parts. There was no issues whatsoever except for the in tank return line which swelled up and turned to a silicone like consistency but returned 100% normal after a week once removed from the e85.

I think the return line might be polyurethane rubber and I know for certain that poly goes soft from alcohol.

I heard from a guy I know who restores commodores that rares are working on VN-VS tanks and that they are improving on the shitty internal hose.
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Just got a new hose onto the swirl pot. Rubber fuel hose this time. Now to get a clamp on. I ordered them today. I'm going to make a new support rubber out of material I know will work with petrol and I have decided to leave out the damper. I know they were an overkill on the VL. I took one off and it didn't generate any more noise. I'll update the post when the job is complete next week.
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Got it back together today and I did fit the old pressure reg and got a replacement rubber for the bottom of the pump for $2. When I turned the ign on I couldn't hear the pump wich turned out to be my hearing. I can hear it but it's the quietest pump I have ever heard. Aeroflow brand for $50 so happy with the outcome. I did give the old pump another tap and it fired up so I might keep it as a spare. I found out the problem was caused bu old fuel. Apparently it starts to turn into an acid which has a fettish for rubber so I'll make sure to only keep a small amount of fuel in the cars and drain it every 6 months if I don't use them.