cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Re: What is this???

Post by Charlescrown »

The easiest way to check for leaking injestors is to fit a pressure gauge to the rail and after running the engine clamp off the fuel supply and return lines and see if the pressure drops.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

The drop will be very hard to see as they only leak a few drops each over 30 min, but thats enough to flood the engine due to vapor.

Easiest way to to lift the injectors and touch the bottom of them and feel for fuel wetness.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Pete30nz
cars: 1994 VR v6 berlina
1996 VS v6 executive

Post by Pete30nz »

Charlescrown wrote:The easiest way to check for leaking injestors is to fit a pressure gauge to the rail and after running the engine clamp off the fuel supply and return lines and see if the pressure drops.
My fuel reg has a gauge as its after market, I had attached a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel line to check pressure also. But I didn't clamp the lines, which is what I will do next time.
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

If you clamp both supply and return lines aand the pressure drops it's either an external leak which can also be the regulator diaphragm so look for fuel in the vacuum hose or the injectors. The injectors can usually be fixed with a good oncar flush.
Pete30nz
1996 VS v6 executive

Post by Pete30nz »

How would yous do your incar flush for the injectors?
Yes I'll clamp the inlet and return lines up beside the engine.

I can see a practical side of lifting and feeling any wetness on the face of the injectors. I guess keeping in mind the amount of time for the fuel to evaporate from the face. If there is leakage, what would be leaking inside the injectors?
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

It's the pintle and seat that wears out in them that causes the leak. When cleaning old injectors that didn't leak often causes the deposits on the seat and pintle tip to come off that was keeping the worn surfaces sealed.

This is why I only used un-serviced good used injectors or brand new genuine OEM or otherwise. I have had no luck with injector servicing/cleaning. Resulted in leaking 100% of the time.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Thats one thing I have never come across. Seen plenty leak but after a good clean come good.
Pete30nz
1996 VS v6 executive

Post by Pete30nz »

I'm getting close to checking out leaky injectors. If they are leaky, how is the seat repaired? As is the pintle the nozzle that can be popped of and on?

Cheers
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

It might be worth asking @The1 as he has a REALLY GOOD injector cleaning setup & may have a few tricks, sometimes reverse flush can move stuff off the seat!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

The pintle is what seals against the seat to shutoff fuel flow ...
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!