cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Pcmhacking.net not loading in USA

Post by Cincinnatus »

So for 3 days this week, I haven't been able to load this site on my phone (last night worked, but not Monday, Tues, or today). I only have internet through my phone, which is at&t network. I finally tried VPN and it loads. I've had this problem before with some other sites, but it's rare. Thought I would let you know that for some reason it's being blocked.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Pcmhacking.net not loading in USA

Post by antus »

I did change the site IP then as my provider needed me to move off the old range and I took the opportunity to also move the dns host to the new server I need to move on to one day. due to an oops I did knock the site offline for and hour or two on monday. dns checkers are telling me its fine again now and has been for a couple of days, but its probably related to that. maybe at&t are caching the dns fail longer than they are supposed to. if you have the skills and can get technical details of what your name sever is and what its responding with it'd be interesting to know, but im 90% confident its at&t caching dns for a week or something out of spec which they shouldnt on some but not all of their name servers and your vpn provider is doing dns correctly.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Cincinnatus
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

I'm not sure how to investigate this problem (no real IT skills), but it still won't load today without VPN, which I have only needed when a site gets blocked. It did load Tuesday night, but only then for some reason. I'll try my internet at my shop and see what happens and report back.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Tried clearing the cache on your device?
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

if it was a cache issue it wouldnt work over vpn. it seems unlikely its blocked (but who knows?). ive just run a few site checkers they all say ok globally. would love to hear if anyone else is seeing this.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
DavidBraley
cars: 1948 GMC

Post by DavidBraley »

If it helps at all, I visit the site several times a day and I have experienced zero problems. I use a Linux desktop machine for my internet journeys... If you can believe it, I don't even own a cell phone!
-David

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.
Cincinnatus
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

When it doesn't load, it just times out. The reload option won't work either. No 404 error or anything else. Using chrome on Android. Will try another browser and see if it works.
Screenshot_20220701-005329.png
Tried Firefox, no load.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

It probably is still using the old IP address and nothing is answering. But why? Seems everything else including the vpn provider and other usa people are fine. Strange. I do have an idea though. My dns registrar told me I cant use the same IP for ns1 and ns2 (even though I have been doing so for years without problems) but maybe for some reason just at&t have the one root name server that cant handle it, and because I changed things it just broke now. Ill try and get a second IP up for ns2 and see if the fixes it. Ill post here when thats done.
mechanicalmatch

Post by mechanicalmatch »

US user here. I use cell (verizon) and wired networks (att and others) and haven't noticed any issues on my end. I read from this site almost every day.

Have you tried retyping the address and not using what your browser saved? I have had that cause me issues in the past with other sites.
Cincinnatus
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

I have tried what you suggested, and a browser that I've never used to go here, and neither work unless I use a VPN. I go here daily as well, but don't know anything about DNS tracing, so I don't know what is going wrong. Still won't load without VPN. I have a friend that uses same carrier. I'll try his phone and see what happens.