Off road race truck

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
In-Tech

Re: Off road race truck

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya Vlad,
It IS a hyd roller, yes, non adjustable and I wasn't happy with the geometry. I didn't have time to figure out if it was the rockers or stand height of the heads that were off, but it wasn't horrendous, so we ran as is and adjusted with the pushrod length needed. 7200 rpm max.
Of course it could make more HP with a solid and I am all about reliablity. IMO, with the lobes I use, I don't need a solid until we broach 8000 rpm. Again, we could make more with a solid, I agree. I can't get the valve covers off without removal of engine, also why I used head studs instead of bolts. The cam is an Erson custom I ordered. I prefer not to make it public but will be glad to discuss valve events in PM.
I used to work for Erson Cams in the late 80's early 90's with alot of ProStock stuff and I feel I have a decent amount of knowledge thanks to Gregg Koechlein and Hans Hermann.
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Well heck, it looks like you can't view the video unless you are logged into tiktok. I'll see if I can get it uploaded to youtube.
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

vlad01 wrote:What cam has it got? I just noticed they look like hydr ones as the yella rockers aren't adjustable. This engine looks too serious to be using a hydr cam?
The cam specs are basically 254 @ .050 and a .635" lobe on a 109 centerline. These lobes cannot be compared to another manufacture. I meant no offense to being quiet about it. It's just apples and oranges if people think I have a magic number or there is such a thing. I use what I use and it cannot be a comparison to other grinds is all. :thumbup:
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Decent size for sure. I guess it depends on the ramp rate if mech or hydr is better suited. To me this cam seems somewhere in between but certainly can work on hydr

For my engine being a Buick 6, it has a small base circle so mech lifters need to come in earlier than LS. Mine is 260 @ 050 and 303 adv. Only a 550 lift as anything over about 525 doesn't do much for performance on the LN3 and L27 heads and benefit far more from duration because of the limited valve sizes on these pre series 2 engines. Mine definitely needs mechanical lifters. They struggle with hydr over about 240 @050.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

I am sorry vlad, I mis typed. I meant .365" lobe lift. That's roughly .620" valve lift with the 1.7 rockers. This is a single pattern cam to increase mid-range torque(3500-7000). An increase of ex duration would help make mor HP from 6000-8000 rpm but that was not my goal. Yes, a solid roller would help me everywhere. This hyd roller still has well over 168 degrees at .200" cam lift and does not beat up the valve train nor make noise at idle. These lobes were specifically designed for a 55mm core. I have a lot of lobes available for other sbc/bbc projects. hth's