VT S1 fuel sender issue or fuel gauge?

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
VTXU8

VT S1 fuel sender issue or fuel gauge?

Post by VTXU8 »

Fitted a new fuel pump and sender unit a few months ago. Gauge seemed to be reading fine but lately it goes to full and stays there when ignition on. I have read somewhere it may need to be hooked up to a tech2 to be calibrated?
Is it just a case of a faulty sender unit or possibly a cluster issue? Or perhaps a wiring problem at the tank? Car doesn't get driven much. So I've only noticed it the last few times I have driven it to do some logging and gauge has not moved from full.

VT V8 5L
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: VT S1 fuel sender issue or fuel gauge?

Post by vlad01 »

Maybe the float is stuck? My nephew's VS does that after RACV changed a pump when he broke down in the middle of nowhere. In his case sometimes it works, most other times it gets stuck above half so I speculate they bent the float arm too much and it gets caught on the swirl pot. Could be something similar, mechanically getting stuck for whatever reason. Maybe get another spare sender and plug it in externally to test the gauge so you don't have to remove the sender out of the tank.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VTXU8

Re: VT S1 fuel sender issue or fuel gauge?

Post by VTXU8 »

Thanks. That's a good idea. I still have the original sender unit so i will use that to test as I know that was working at the time of removal.