Ecotec LS Coil Driver

Hardware and Software. If you have something to sell, post it here.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Ecotec LS Coil Driver

Post by vlad01 »

I had a bit of a play with the chat yesterday and had similar issues. I asked a specific question about static compression ratios and fuel octane rating, expecting a value or a range of values based on the parameters I gave it, instead it just gave me an essay on engine building and factors which I already knew (one which it said was actually incorrect lol) and that the take away is, that I needed to consult a professional engine builder or automotive engineer :lol:

it seems that its pretty good at creative type problems but not so much at scientific/engineering/maths problems.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
OZ38
cars: VY V6 Commodore ute.
VS V6 Commo sedan.
VT V6 powered 4x4 Hilux ute.

Post by OZ38 »

SilentBob wrote:
LS2 D585 & D514A not recommended.
Is your LS Coil Driver different to VL400's LSx Coil Driver possibly ?

In the notes for that LSx Coil Diver it has the D514A as being know to work.

Cheers Deek
Attachments
LS2 Coils.png
LS2 Coils.png (54.59 KiB) Viewed 7487 times
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

This is completely different to the VL400 module. The VL400 module is programmable including its own dwell settings and replaces the factory ignition module (Its also no longer made). This one retains the factory module and piggy backs its output.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
OZ38
VS V6 Commo sedan.

Post by OZ38 »

antus wrote:This is completely different to the VL400 module. The VL400 module is programmable including its own dwell settings and replaces the factory ignition module (Its also no longer made). This one retains the factory module and piggy backs its output.
Thank antus, although that snippet above about the LS2 coils actually is in the MPR Coil Driver Rev2 instructions that VL400 sent me to download.
Also though I think BBG may have had something to do with the information update after fitting the Coil Driver box to his V6 Hilux.

Cheers
Attachments
Coil Box wiring rev2.jpg
Coil Box wiring rev2.jpg (30.22 KiB) Viewed 7401 times
SilentBob
cars: VY

Post by SilentBob »

OZ38 wrote: Is your LS Coil Driver different to VL400's LSx Coil Driver possibly ?

In the notes for that LSx Coil Diver it has the D514A as being know to work.

Cheers Deek
I might have gotten a couple of bad coils, they were out of a wreck. I'll have to retest at some point.
antus wrote:This is completely different to the VL400 module. The VL400 module is programmable including its own dwell settings and replaces the factory ignition module (Its also no longer made). This one retains the factory module and piggy backs its output.
There were two different modules that VL400 made, one was the MPR coil driver viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3065. My unit is basically functionally the same as this.
The other is the one you're talking about and is very different viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2913&hilit=ignition+module. That one is fully programmable, etc.

About compatible coils with my unit, I'll copy/paste what I sent to OZ38 in pm.
Since the dwell time is set by the ecu, any coil that has been ran successfully on an MPR unit should also run fine on mine. I just try not to recommend anything I haven't personally tested.
SilentBob

Post by SilentBob »

After a fair delay I now have a few more of these units on hand. The new version is the same as the old but with the addition of two rpm based programmable outputs (for switching a relay,shift light,etc).

Have also made a few changes to the instruction manual to include the newer versions of the unit and there is info on how to use the app as well. The same info is available in the app in the about page.

Edit: Updated user manual
Attachments
ECD User Manual Rev1.5.pdf
(1.13 MiB) Downloaded 126 times
Last edited by SilentBob on Tue May 23, 2023 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OZ38
VS V6 Commo sedan.

Post by OZ38 »

SilentBob wrote:After a fair delay I now have a few more of these units on hand. The new version is the same as the old but with the addition of two rpm based programmable outputs (for switching a relay,shift light,etc).

Have also made a few changes to the instruction manual to include the newer versions of the unit and there is info on how to use the app as well. The same info is available in the app in the about page.
Good instructions.

I have a question about pin C5.
If the pin 85 on the relay switches with the ECD powering up from a switched 12v ignition source & the relay pin 86 is also from a switched 12v ignition source. Why is the relay needing a switched Ground ? Could it not be a permanet ground to the relay ?

Go easy on me as electrical is not my thing :D

Cheers
SilentBob

Post by SilentBob »

OZ38 wrote:
I have a question about pin C5.
If the pin 85 on the relay switches with the ECD powering up from a switched 12v ignition source & the relay pin 86 is also from a switched 12v ignition source. Why is the relay needing a switched Ground ? Could it not be a permanet ground to the relay ?

Go easy on me as electrical is not my thing :D

Cheers
Good eyes, that's a mistake in my drawing, I'll update it.

86 could be directly connected to 12v and then just use C5 to switch 85.

The relay output and the two programmable outputs in the newer design aren't necessary at all, I just added them because there was space and thought someone might find them useful.
OZ38
VS V6 Commo sedan.

Post by OZ38 »

SilentBob wrote:
The relay output and the two programmable outputs in the newer design aren't necessary at all, I just added them because there was space and thought someone might find them useful.
For sure they will be a handy addition for some users applications.
Nice work.

Cheers
SilentBob

Post by SilentBob »

OZ38 wrote:
For sure they will be a handy addition for some users applications.
Nice work.

Cheers
Thanks for catching the mistakes.

Have made the changes and put the updated user manual in the post above.