Ecu's and Looms

Hardware and Software. If you have something to sell, post it here.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Re: Ecu's and Looms

Post by Charlescrown »

I have seen a number of early 808's from Camira and VN VP with what appears to be dry joints and good luck finding them I have not yet seen a bad VR ECU. OK on the baud rate with the coms board but if you shop around you can pick op VR ECU's for $50 to $100 which might work out cheaper than the com board mod. I suppose an 808 that's past the test of time is quiet OK to use or a newer one made after the production line correction.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I have one vp 808 I bought from the wreckers and one from an earlyish vp and the one from the wrecker has much better pcb board, better tracks, better soldering and better protective coating. We are talking late(oct-dec) 92/early 93 vs 90/91 ecus. have not come across anything older than 90 yet.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

there was a recal out on series 1 vn ecu due to over heat condition of a diode or something and dry solder joints but was fixed in the series 2
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I have seen a number of 808's fail but also quiet a few VL Nissan 6cyl ECU's fail apart from that I cant recall any other manufacturer having a problem with ECU's.
So maybe I jumped the gun condemning 808's.
But saying that I have had more 808's fail than any other ECU.
Don't like to say this but I have never seen a Ford ECU fail.
HUSH HUSH WASH MY MOUTH OUT.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Charlescrown wrote:I have seen a number of 808's fail but also quiet a few VL Nissan 6cyl ECU's fail apart from that I cant recall any other manufacturer having a problem with ECU's.
So maybe I jumped the gun condemning 808's.
But saying that I have had more 808's fail than any other ECU.
Don't like to say this but I have never seen a Ford ECU fail.
HUSH HUSH WASH MY MOUTH OUT.

you want ECU failures? try bitsaremissing (Mitsubishi) we used to get hundreds of them when I worked at an auto electrician.

Always was burned PCBs and components on those shit box cars. Not surprising given they are the worst car manufacture for quality and design :lol:
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I am quiet surprised with over 40 years in the trade I have never seem very few Mitsu failures but that's not to say it didn't happen. Burnt circuit boards to me are usually caused by mechanics doing the wrong thing. What models were they?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I 'heard' there was a particular model of 90s magna that had that problem. I knew someone who had one and the ecu burnt out about 3 times. I never saw the car though so couldnt verify the root cause.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

they were various 90s magnas and lancers. was one of large diodes on the pcb that always went and took the rest of the pcb out. in all cases they bunt out mid driving.

basically a fire inside the ecu when it happens.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

the old 808's the conformal coating shrinks and takes the tracks up with it.and the coolant sensor circuits stuff up and cause hot cold readings making the car rich lean rich lean and hard to start hot.ive seen a couple of injector drivers stuck open as well.the vb had issues for 2 drag meetings where it would do a good warmup skid then do a pass get 5 feet and it would die once it cooled down would start and run fine again
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

yeah I got one of those old ones here where the coating is a rock hard like a diamond. where all the news ones the coating is rubbery.

This old one has been repaired before. 2 of the caps on U8's clock generating circuit been replaced.