FS: ECM USB Comms

Hardware and Software. If you have something to sell, post it here.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

FS: ECM USB Comms

Post by antus »

ECM USB Comms

10 in stock as at Nov 2023

Contact Gareth to order.
ECM Comms V3s.jpg
ECM Comms V3s.jpg (105.82 KiB) Viewed 43092 times
Suitable for ECMs with these service numbers

1227808 (the '808) (recommended)

This ECM was used in these applications:

Commodore/Statesman VN/VP All (use with ECM comms board)
N13 Pulsar
LD Astra
JE Camira

Usage
This comms board is installed inside the '808 case to provide a USB port on the side. It should be used in conjunction with high speed code (usually thats 12P on an ECM NVRAM).
To install you will need to solder 3 wires inside the ECM, and drill 3 holes in the case. 2 are for the mounting bolts (supplied) and 1 is for the USB Type B connector to pass through. Instructions are provided with purchase.

Design
These boards are the latest iteration of VL400's successful design. This board can interface with TTL serial (3 wires as in the '808) or ALDL (2 wires for other applications).

In the kit
1x USB Comms board
2x Mounting standoffs
1x Pigtail header, with stripped and tinned ends for easy install
1x USB cable with ferrite bead for noise suppression
1x PDF copy of installation instructions

Beware the clones
PCMHACKING.net products use only genuine components. Our ECM Comms boards use a genuine FTDI chip which works fine with the latest drivers. Clone FTDI chips are in circulation. See here for more information http://hackaday.com/2014/02/19/ft232rl-real-or-fake/

More information
If you need more information about the use of this hardware, click the FAQ button at the top/right of the forums and have a read of the documents available for download there.

Purchasing
ECM USB Comms are $120 each inc. postage and handling.
If you wish to purchase an ECM USB Comms kits contact Gareth via PM.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
j_ds_au

Re: FS: ECM USB Comms

Post by j_ds_au »

Hi antus,

Is the tantalum capacitor in the picture loaded the wrong way around? (Remember that unlike the common practice to indicate the negative terminal of electrolytic capacitors with a stripe, tantalum capacitors indicate the positive terminal with a stripe.)

Joe.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Hi Joe,

Well spotted. Yes it is. This was noted in first testing of the first batch of which I took that photo. I swapped all of them around and re-tested before sale. Nobody received one with that alignment.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

Hi Antus,

Thanks for confirming, I was wondering if I was seeing things.

Good you caught this in time!

Joe.
4x4sandman
cars: Too many... vs, wl, hj, hz, wb, gq...

Re: FS: ECM USB Comms, vs pcm into vn with usb laptop

Post by 4x4sandman »

Hello,

I have bought a 2nd hand unused vs bt1 808 with the pcmhacking 128k navram installed in it. It was originally intended for a vs but I want to put it in my VG 5 ltr. I got the 16 pin aldl plug to usb cable with it but, as I just learnt, the vn/vp/vg/vq doesn't have the 16 pin aldl plug. So, how can I plug this into my, usb only, laptop?

Thanks in advance, Laurie.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Wire in an aldl plug. Provided your ecu has high speed comms. If it's an vn 808 ecu it would of needed a sxr chip installed. Or hopefully it's a vr type 082 ecu. Post a pic of the circuit board and we can tell you your next plan.
By having the nvram doesn't guarantee high speed comms but hopefully it's a good sign.

Have a look on here there's info on wiring the 16 pin port. And lots more on Google.
4x4sandman

Post by 4x4sandman »

Hi Dylan, fast reply, thanks. Ive been searching on this for a few hours now. I was just comparing wiring diagrams between the vn and vs to do something similar then I saw your reply. The vs aldl plug uses 3 wires and one seems to be the right color in the right spot, (A9 WB) but that's as far as i'd got.

So, is it as simple as connecting to a8 to 9, a9 to 6 and d10 to 5? I used this diagram http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic. ... 352#p14535 to work this out. For anyone wondering the numbers refer to locations on the pcm's plugs then the aldl plug.
Attachments
20150921_124045.jpg
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

according to the post you just linked its aldl plug pin 9 -> pcm plug C11 and then the other two you need are just +12v and GND.
4x4sandman

Post by 4x4sandman »

I apologize, I didnt say I was looking at the vs manual diagram in the comment below the main post in that link, thanks for making me aware of that 202. I'm pretty sure my new pcm is for an auto. Sorry for not having everything in order guys. So, if my pcm is for an auto, C11 is the one with the data, if its manual, its a9?
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

Yes, that PCM is for an auto. the problem is, the Auto and Manual pinouts are significantly different. the VS manual pinout is identical to the VN, but the auto is different. do you have the loom to go with this pcm?