Ecotec LS Coil Driver

Hardware and Software. If you have something to sell, post it here.
SilentBob
cars: VY

Ecotec LS Coil Driver

Post by SilentBob »

Following on from VL400s thread viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3065&start=150, I've made my own version of the LS coil driver box.

This thread is for discussion, questions, people wanting one, etc.

The ECD (Ecotec Coil Driver) is to convert the DFI coil signal to allow users to run LS coils on the Ecotec/L67. **Coils with overdwell protection are not suitable as the factory ecu still controls dwell and as far as I'm aware isn't adjustable**

It includes adjustable 2Step and RPM limit and setup can be done manually using buttons or through the app (android only) via bluetooth.

I'll post the documentation once it's updated for the new version I'm working on.

Here is a video from RKGarage going over the unit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMoqtFO20NY&t=1113s. A couple of corrections from the video, it's not fully water proof only splash resistant and recommended mounting location is in the cabin. It can be mounted in the engine bay as long as it's away from direct heat and rubber mounted to avoid vibration.

The units are currently unavailable but will be again by March hopefully. At that point they'll be up on the RK Garage website https://rkgarage.company.site/

Any questions or anything feel free to post here or message me.
In-Tech

Re: Ecotec LS Coil Driver

Post by In-Tech »

I just want to know where Jay is :lol:

Great job :)
SilentBob

Post by SilentBob »

In-Tech wrote:I just want to know where Jay is :lol:

Great job :)
Thanks haha
SilentBob

Post by SilentBob »

The last few out of this batch are going out now.
I've got a new version that I'm currently testing, basically the same just some component changes.
Have also added 2 programmable outputs that will be on the next version.

Will be testing the new model for a few more weeks, then will do a production run. So about 1-2 months before the next lot come in.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Any plans for a V8 version?
SilentBob

Post by SilentBob »

Dylan wrote:Any plans for a V8 version?
Any particular engine/vehicle? I haven't seen any demand really
VTXU8

Post by VTXU8 »

I'd be interested in one for a VT v8 5L version?
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

VT as mentioned would be sweet and run 8 LS coils.
If something could be done even on pre VT 5 litres to replace the current ignition module and run a single LS coil, that's a massive win straight up.
VTXU8

Post by VTXU8 »

Dylan wrote:VT as mentioned would be sweet and run 8 LS coils.
If something could be done even on pre VT 5 litres to replace the current ignition module and run a single LS coil, that's a massive win straight up.
:thumbup:
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

The Skid Factory did a recent video where they "upgraded" a genuine VL HDT with efi and Haltech using a VT V8 distributor for timing with coil per cylinder ignition. When they put it on the dyno it had a huge problem with ignition scatter. They then upgraded to a crank trigger using a 36-1 trigger wheel and the timing was rock solid after that.