Help needed! converting 202 to delco

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 6640
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:34 pm

Re: Help needed! converting 202 to delco

Postby antus » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:48 am

if you cant get the JE camira stuff, the N13 pulsar is the same system and engine and is more commonly available at the wreckers. Get the ose12p software package (see the links in the FAQ) and have a look at the wiring diagram there, and also the diagrams in the ose12p thread. All forms of the delco ignition use a 4 wire system. You need to find those 4 wires on both side of what your cutting and joining and connect them to the same places. Then you need to update the 12p tune to suit the reference angle of the new sensor. The signals are reference signal low (the ground side) reference signal high, EST output (electroic spark timing), and bypass control (the ignition module produces a static spark when the engine is cranking and before the ecm has sync'd up, when the ecm is ready it signals bypass which tells the ignition module to bypass its spark generation circuit and to use the EST signal to to the coils. The 4 wires are sometimes called similar but different things, but in all cases they are on the same pins on the ECM so once you get the pins from the 12p docs you'll be able to cross reference commodore wiring if your using a commodore loom instead of an N13 pulsar loom.

If you dont have looms yet, I'd recommend going to the wreckers and pulling the efi loom out of a pulsar, and taking the sensors on the end of the of it. Its separate to the body loom, and includes a relay block on the firewall with 2 relays. Once you get a handle on that part of the loom you can pull the whole lot out, through the firewall, and the ecu under the passenger seat. Sometimes people find cheap pulsar n13 wrecks and if you have the cash and space you can take the whole car and scrap whats left when your done.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396

User avatar
Posts: 10173
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:05 pm
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Help needed! converting 202 to delco

Postby Holden202T » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:01 pm

if your using a VN/VP loom you cut the DFI module plug off then you have to use those wires to connect to the camira module and coil.

so the DFI module has 4 wires that run back to the delco, these need to connect to the 4 pin plug on the camira module, then theres a power wire, this can go to the coil positive, theres also the wires that go to the V6 crank angle sensor, these are no longer needed.

just be careful cause the camira loom picture below uses different colours to the VN loom.
camira module.jpg
camira module.jpg (148.17 KiB) Viewed 260 times

vn loom.jpg

Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:47 pm

Re: Help needed! converting 202 to delco

Postby Elijah Bruce » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:07 pm

Thank you Holden202T! Do you remember what sensors are needed to get it running, so I know what to cut out of the loom. And if possible the locations you found best for the placement of said sensors. I remember you putting something where the EGR valve used to be?

Posts: 839
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:42 pm

Re: Help needed! converting 202 to delco

Postby heff0018 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:15 am

Gday Elijah

I am not sure about VP but I am pretty sure the basics are the same to the JE Camira.

You will need these sensors

MAP
Coolant temp
MAT

The TPS and idle air control should come with the throttle body.

The plugs are all different so this should be your guide as to where they go.

If I have anything wrong someone will correct me.

I would think about what Antus said about trying to find a Nissan loom with everything attached, this is how I started albeit using a Camira loom and it made it much easier.

Good luck
Attachments
JE_5.jpg
JE_5.jpg (88.6 KiB) Viewed 220 times

User avatar
Posts: 10173
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:05 pm
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Help needed! converting 202 to delco

Postby Holden202T » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:51 am

Elijah Bruce wrote:Thank you Holden202T! Do you remember what sensors are needed to get it running, so I know what to cut out of the loom. And if possible the locations you found best for the placement of said sensors. I remember you putting something where the EGR valve used to be?

the only sensor i didnt use from the V6 loom other than the DFI module was the knock sensor, and yes i did put the MAT sensor in the EGR hole, but i think you would be better off putting it in one of the holes towards the ends of the inlet manifold as where i have it i believe it sees too much air flow and not enough heat soak, which means it acts very different to the stock tunes.

on the 202 heads there are water jacket ports around the cylinder 2/3 area, i block these off and run the coolant temp sensor in the thermostat housing, seems to have a more accurate reading, as apposed to right beside an exhaust port which seems to make it read higher than actual.

thats pretty much it, otherwise just peel back all the loom, run them to where the sensors are and then re-tape it all up.

Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:47 pm

Re: Help needed! converting 202 to delco

Postby Elijah Bruce » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:34 am

Holden202T wrote:
Elijah Bruce wrote:Thank you Holden202T! Do you remember what sensors are needed to get it running, so I know what to cut out of the loom. And if possible the locations you found best for the placement of said sensors. I remember you putting something where the EGR valve used to be?

the only sensor i didnt use from the V6 loom other than the DFI module was the knock sensor, and yes i did put the MAT sensor in the EGR hole, but i think you would be better off putting it in one of the holes towards the ends of the inlet manifold as where i have it i believe it sees too much air flow and not enough heat soak, which means it acts very different to the stock tunes.

on the 202 heads there are water jacket ports around the cylinder 2/3 area, i block these off and run the coolant temp sensor in the thermostat housing, seems to have a more accurate reading, as apposed to right beside an exhaust port which seems to make it read higher than actual.

thats pretty much it, otherwise just peel back all the loom, run them to where the sensors are and then re-tape it all up.


Cheers 202T. I should be all good to get this running and driving now, my final worry is if anyone has any suggestions on getting a VSS signal. I am still rocking the standard M20 (aussie 4 speed 6cyl) and 3.55 ratio banjo diff so im not too sure on how to get a pulse to the ecu.

Edit: also you mentioned in your original 'how to convert 202 to delco' post that it isnt important to lock the dizzy in the perfect 10 degrees position anymore. Is this because the delco unit can just be tuned to match or is there something else that has changed?

Edit 2: O2 sensors. So im not quite sure if i should go with a wideband or narrowband (price vs accuracy). I saw in the 'basis tuning' that a narrowband can be used, but in the hemi 265 delco thread, you mentioned using a wideband to tune and the sticking the narrowband back in so that it will just do closed loop tuning. Can the wideband be wired into the ecu or is it run externally straight to a laptop with tunerpro?

I appreachiate everyone patience as i try to get my head around this! I'm having a lot of fun and learning a lot at the moment!
Cheers!

User avatar
Posts: 10173
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:05 pm
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Help needed! converting 202 to delco

Postby Holden202T » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:01 pm

Elijah Bruce wrote:Cheers 202T. I should be all good to get this running and driving now, my final worry is if anyone has any suggestions on getting a VSS signal. I am still rocking the standard M20 (aussie 4 speed 6cyl) and 3.55 ratio banjo diff so im not too sure on how to get a pulse to the ecu.

Edit: also you mentioned in your original 'how to convert 202 to delco' post that it isnt important to lock the dizzy in the perfect 10 degrees position anymore. Is this because the delco unit can just be tuned to match or is there something else that has changed?

Edit 2: O2 sensors. So im not quite sure if i should go with a wideband or narrowband (price vs accuracy). I saw in the 'basis tuning' that a narrowband can be used, but in the hemi 265 delco thread, you mentioned using a wideband to tune and the sticking the narrowband back in so that it will just do closed loop tuning. Can the wideband be wired into the ecu or is it run externally straight to a laptop with tunerpro?

I appreachiate everyone patience as i try to get my head around this! I'm having a lot of fun and learning a lot at the moment!
Cheers!

yeah the dizzy only needs to match the reference angle in the tune .... anwhere from 5-10 degrees is probably the best just for cranking advance more than anything.

i wouldnt recommend trying to tune with the narrowband, wideband is a must for this unless you plan to take it to a dyno tuner to get it dialed in. If your going to daily drive it then the narrowband will be good for fine tuning once the initial tune is dialed in. You can also use most widebands to have a simulated narrowband output too so that might be the answer ?

there is an analog input on the ECU for inputting the wideband signal, as long as the wideband puts out a 0-5v analog signal your right.

Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:47 pm

Re: Help needed! converting 202 to delco

Postby Elijah Bruce » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:47 pm

Yep that makes sense. So just use the same wire that the narrowband would be connected to for the ecu plug with the appropriate wideband in its place?
Also, any ideas on getting that VSS signal?

User avatar
Posts: 1235
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:38 am

Re: Help needed! converting 202 to delco

Postby Gampy » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:29 pm

There are VSS signal generators that fit in the speedo cable location on the trans/transfer case ...

Example: Digital Speedometer Sending Units

Some cars came from the factory with such devices during the mechanical/digital age ... They had a cable to the speedo and a signal generator for the computer.

-Enjoy

Posts: 839
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:42 pm

Re: Help needed! converting 202 to delco

Postby heff0018 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:58 am

I have one that is spliced into the Speedo cable.

PreviousNext

Return to Delco ECU Conversions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest