N13 Turbo - Round 2... Fight!

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
BennVenn
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200

Re: N13 Turbo - Round 2... Fight!

Post by BennVenn »

Yeah its just the angle, even with the over sized 1.5" steampipe there's plenty of room to get a plug spanner in there, and access all the nuts.

In other news, I've just started building a hub dyno to get some numbers out of this build and help with tuning. So far it'll come in at under $500 for both hubs, steady state loading capable. Should I start a thread on the dyno or is that straying a little too far from pcmhacking?
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

BennVenn wrote:Yeah its just the angle, even with the over sized 1.5" steampipe there's plenty of room to get a plug spanner in there, and access all the nuts.
Knew you had that covered. Looked like angle to me. Plus 1 plug in already...
BennVenn wrote:
BennVenn wrote:In other news, I've just started building a hub dyno to get some numbers out of this build and help with tuning. So far it'll come in at under $500 for both hubs, steady state loading capable. Should I start a thread on the dyno or is that straying a little too far from pcmhacking?
You can post it up in tools, I would love to see a build on that. :thumbup:
Chuff

Post by Chuff »

BennVenn wrote:Should I start a thread on the dyno or is that straying a little too far from pcmhacking?
:thumbup:
˙ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ǝsǝuıɥɔ ɐ ƃuıʎnq ɹoɟ ʇɥƃıɹ ǝɯ sǝʌɹǝs
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

BennVenn wrote:Should I start a thread on the dyno or is that straying a little too far from pcmhacking?
:thumbup: Pretty much anything Automotive goes ...
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

The dyno thread can be found here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7238
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

A little more work on the VNT-Petrol setup.

I ordered a pair of dual port actuators from Aliexpress. One port was supposed to be for boost to extend the actuator, the other is designed for boost to retract the arm. Unfortunately, China being china did a half arsed job and didn't include any seals in the 'retract' side against the shaft. I ordered two and both were the same, the seller says it's OK, just use the other side... They're factory sealed and there's no getting into them to add one.

An hour later the 3d print finished, a quick reaming with a 6mm bit for a real nice fit around the shaft and we've got the second port sealing.

The theory is, I set the VNT vanes at a set angle to come on boost where I decide - 2000rpm. If the boost port see's positive pressure it'll open the VNT nozzle controlling the boost. If the vacuum port see's a vacuum it'll also open the nozzle so the turbo is effectively 'off' when there is manifold vacuum - cruising, anything not WOT. This *should* give boost control, economy at cruise and extremely good boost response at WOT.

I'll fit a heat shield around the print until the CNC'd aluminium version arrives. Hopefully it'll allow a few test pulls before the print fails. It's resin printed so it won't melt, just burn if it gets hot enough.
vnt.jpg
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

The VNT actuator worked a treat! I've got brass versions on their way for the bearing properties. I've also grabbed some valve stem seals which fit the actuator shaft perfectly. I'll turn down one of the brass seals to accept the valve stem seal, bore the hole a little bigger so it has some articulation. Right now the shaft flexes a little due to no give in the bearing and the actuator arm on the turbo moving in an arc but no issues controlling boost.

I've also found the plugs fouling to be a real pain. Mostly due to over rich tuning high up but also the dizzy preferring to arc out internally than send the spark to the plug. So...
edizzy.png
edizzy.png (42.4 KiB) Viewed 4205 times
I've made a small board that fits in the dizzy, a magnet fitted in the rotor shaft keyway, hall sensors pick up the signal for synchronising and now I can use wasted spark or dedicated coil packs for each plug. Should give a much stronger spark even through fouled plugs. They'll be here in about a week and I've got a VW coil pack I'll plug into this thing.

Dyno flanges arriving on Wednesday!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Put a link between the shaft and arm to absorb the miss alignment caused by the arc of the arm.

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

Gampy wrote:Put a link between the shaft and arm to absorb the miss alignment caused by the arc of the arm.
I'll try find some bar stock today and give it a go. Cheers!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

There is an actual name for it and I cannot remember it ... Driving me up the wall. :oops: :oops: :evil: :oops: :oops:

Converts a rotary/arcing motion to a linear motion ...

[edit]
Watts Link.