Help needed! converting 202 to delco

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
Elijah Bruce
cars: 1975 Holden Kingswood Utility

Re: Help needed! converting 202 to delco

Post by Elijah Bruce »

[quote="heff0018"]Well done, sure is a great feeling when it fires up .[/quote]
Thank you. But that’s the last of my struggles though. I’ve been trying to get it going on the starter motor for a while now but it sometimes stutters then just keeps on cranking till it floods. I had to push it down a hill and gently clutch start it into third. I have the battery on a charger right now and I will leave it for a couple days to fully charge. Then I’ll try to start it off of the starter motor. If anyone has had the same issue, I’d love some advice.

I’ll post up a YouTube video of it cranking when the battery is done if it doesn’t get going so you guys can see what I mean!

Here’s some photos of my old girl. My first car, got her last year for a steal. Wasn’t running so I thought it would be a good idea to throw myself into the deep end and get it going! Once I got the old 173 running (the stromberg carb wasn’t too hard to figure out) I found that it didn’t have enough bite for me. Hence why I’ve done this hotted up 202 for a school project!
[attachment=1]image.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Shake N Bake!
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

Looks pretty tidy
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

Looking at your new spark plugs I would think it is running too rich. Very difficult at times to start an engine with wet spark plugs.
Elijah Bruce

Post by Elijah Bruce »

kojab wrote:Looking at your new spark plugs I would think it is running too rich. Very difficult at times to start an engine with wet spark plugs.
Yes I believe it was from the spark being too retarded, therefore not burning all of the fuel!
Shake N Bake!
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

That's not my opinion. Your tune looks very rich. From my dyno experience retarding the timing only heats up the exhaust.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i was a bit confused about this, so i went and had a look at the tune and also your screen shots.

firstly the tune is v1.11, your using XDF and ADX for v1.12 .... now this may not necessarily be causing any issues but it also may do..... best to get the right files to suit.

also if your uploading a v1.11 calibration to the nvram and it is v1.12 that will need to be rectified ... if you uploaded the tune as a full bin file you probably have no issues in this area.

the comments on that tune in the forum also says that its made for a 173 motor, so the injector rate is .10 and .12 would be suggested for a 202 .... that would probably make it even richer but just thought i'd mention it.

lastly and probably the most important, if your saying you had to go and edit the reference angle to set it to 10 degrees then i am a bit concerned here as the file on the forums already has the reference angle at that setting .... makes me wonder if the wrong file is being loaded onto it ?

in your video i can also see you dont actually have the factory VK injectors (they have a orangey-yellow top), this might mean that the ones you have are a different size, in which case the tune might need adjusting to suit, can you get the part number off the side of them so we can confirm the size of them ?

the fact you have it running at all makes me think it should be able to start with the starter motor and the right amount of throttle to stop it flooding assuming the battery has enough go in it.

anyways, i think we need to get the above all sorted out then see where that leaves us .... i would also like to see if you can get a data log when you try things, post it up so we can confirm sensor readings and such are all in the ball park.
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Without going thru all the posts my question is are you using a Camira ignition module? If so you might have the polarity wrong from the reluctor to the module. I made that mistake and it ran like a dog so to speak.
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

Charlescrown wrote:Without going thru all the posts my question is are you using a Camira ignition module? If so you might have the polarity wrong from the reluctor to the module. I made that mistake and it ran like a dog so to speak.
Same here, it ran but not very well
Elijah Bruce

Post by Elijah Bruce »

thanks for the responses everyone. i will address all below

Holden202T:
yes i was uploading the full bins so hopefully i wont have any issues there.
I will have to check the injector rate but i think you might be onto something with the wrong tune being loaded onto it. I downloaded the straight 6 bin and left it on my desktop and loaded it onto the ecu. But i have just redownloaded it and sure enough the reference angle is set at 9.84 from the get go. I will have to load this tune onto it tonight again.

Injectors BTW are from vp commodore which i have read that they have the same injector rate so i thought it wouldnt be an issue to swap them in.

Charlescrown & Heff:
yes im using the camira module. This was something that i was worried about, as i snipped the old connectors off before even thinking about remembering which is which! i have already swapped them but maybe they were right the first time? i will swap them again and see if it makes a difference if fixing the tunes, adx and xdf doesnt make a difference.

Im loving the help everyone! Cheers.
Shake N Bake!
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I was in the same boat so it then became experimental. Which way worked best. It's OK to know at which point the Bosch module triggers but another to know the polarity.