RB30 - Delco 808 conversion

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
Jayme

RB30 - Delco 808 conversion

Post by Jayme »

Hi, I,ve been helping a mate of mine tune his RB30 (high comp) turbo and trying to tune for the MAF and with no datalogging is giving me the shits. rather than resolving only one of those 2 issues by purchasing nistune, I plan on resolving both by converting to 808 as I find the data stream seems faster than nistune and I like tuning Map sensor cars more.

My plan is to buy a DFI off a jackeroo (or whatever the one is that needs only 7 notches and reluctor for the crank trigger) then fabricate a crank trigger somewhere around the harmonic balancer. Take out the dizzy and block the hole off. I know it would be much easier for me to use the original dizzy but we would rather get rid of it partly to be different. That part of it shouldnt be hard to sort out anyway and I can always give up and use a v8 ign module and keep the dizzy if I get stuck. I wondering if anyone has an inexpensive idea (maybe a simple circuit I can build) to run the low impedance injectors safely off the 808.
delcowizzid

Re: RB30 - Delco 808 conversion

Post by delcowizzid »

just a resistor on each injector wire would do it but i have no idea on what size you can buy the resistor pack for nissans to run the injectors just has 6 wires in 6 out will be the same thing.obviously the resistance wont be hard to figure out just need to add a resistor to bring the injectors up to stock impedance.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Ive got one of the kalmaker low impedance injector driver boxes floating around. I was originally trying to use VL injectors with it on my G200 twin cam, but it never idled right until I swapped over to high impedance camira injectors. You can have it for $20 as I have no use for it and it'll probably sit on the shelf in my shed forever otherwise. I was told the VL injectors were too big for my engine, but by my calculations 2L/4 = 500cc and so does 3L/6 so I dont know why it didnt work.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

I've been doing a little research this arvo on the injector driver boxes and the concensus generally is that it will never run as nicely as a set of high impedance injectors. ive got a set of 8 VN injectors lying round so ill use them for the installation and testing of the 808, then get him to buy a set of 36lb GM super 6 injectors (which will be bigger than the VLT injectors anyway) for when we tune high boost. now all I need is a VN loom and temp senders and a whooooole lot of time.
cracker
cars: vn turbo, vl turbo

Post by cracker »

any progress on this little project??? very intrested
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

not really... been waiting on a nice cheap (free) test car to come along to make it all up on as I have moved away from the area of my mate with the skyline.
Six_Shooter
cars: 2005 Dodge Dakota - For Sale
2000 GMC Yukon - The Daily driver
1985 GMC Jimmy S-15 - Under reconstruction
1973 Datsun 240Z - Toy, uses GM EFI.

Post by Six_Shooter »

You might be able to apply this to the '808:

https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=245
2005 Dodge Dakota - The daily
1985 GMC Jimmy - A work in progress
1973 Datsun 240Z - The Toy, turbocharged and injected using GM EFI, and code59

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Silver308
cars: Holden VL Calais Wagon 5L
RB30ET Datto Ute (in progress)

Post by Silver308 »

Gday, an old post i know but maybe useful to someone down the track.
Have reconstructed an rb30 supercharged (Vortec V2) setup several years ago, bough most of the stuff with the charger, but looms,injectors and stuff were missing (changed over from a wreck to another car) - didn't end up finishing, the V2 was redirected to a 5.0L.
Ran an 808, v8 ignition module, 2 bar map sensor and a chopper wheel inside the distributor in place of the factory crank angle sensor, from a falcon i think. Ran high imp injectors, not much bigger than stock.
At 6lbs ran approx 200hp at the wheels behind a manual trans, high comp stock engine, diff ratio unknown, i have the dyno sheet somewhere.
Cheerio.
Attachments
vl RB30 Charged.bin
(64 KiB) Downloaded 451 times
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Seeing this thread is 7 years old I thought I'd re-hash it rather than start another thread...

I was asked by another workshop about tuning a turbo'd VL that was maxxing out the stock maf & the limitations of realtime tuning etc....

So has anyone done a 808 conversion with $12p & got an easy setup to use?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

It might be worth considering nistune for simple but you can go 12p by fabricationg a trigger on the crank, installing high impedance injectors, using the nissan auto tps analog out (need to adjust the min voltage range in the tune). Delco can drive nissan iac (few more tune changes). The t5 vss is fine. Its also technically possible to run the nissan cas wirh vl400s ignition module but a bit of work to install. If they want to replace the stock ecm and need to change injectors anyway it might be worth it.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396