Delco DIS On Non DIS Engine

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Re: Delco DIS On Non DIS Enigine

Post by VL400 »

Thanks Wayne, that confirms the 6 cyl application but throws another curve ball in for the 4 cyl application! They show it as 110deg BTDC of cyl #1 (180deg out from where I expected it).

If you go by the Motec data the notches are 5deg BTDC with a ref angle of 65deg, so that all adds up and would give some advance for cranking.
VL400

Post by VL400 »

Here is a diagram for how the corvette LT5 DIS trigger works and the wiring diagram...

The diagram shows the notches as 6* BTDC for the cranking advance, the main difference with the V8 is it has 8+1 notches instead of 6+1 like the 4cyl and 6cyl applications.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

here we go thought we better have so info on the harder to setup V6 holden DIS setup .
DIS2.JPG
DIS2.JPG (170.06 KiB) Viewed 12101 times
DIS1.JPG
DIS1.JPG (224.05 KiB) Viewed 12093 times
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
dynoboy

Post by dynoboy »

Hi Guys, just thought i would end a bit of confusion i have seen and correct a mistake out there.
With the yanky 4 and 6 cylinder DIS module's.
The wiring is different between the two, they have the same connectors, but the six pin is wired
differntly.
4 CYL
A is Tacho output
B is Not connected
C is EST
D is Bypass
E is Ref
F is Ground reference.

6 Cyl
A is Bypass
B is EST
C is Tacho
D is Not Connected
E is Ref
F is Ground reference.

I hope this helps!
Attachments
4 CYL DIS.jpg
4 CYL DIS.jpg (129.68 KiB) Viewed 12419 times
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

awesome, thanks for that! I have 2 of those modules sitting at home and couldnt figure out how to interface them. Now I know what pins to ignore, it 'should just work' :thumbup:
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

lol ... should just work :)
Apples

Post by Apples »

Edited pic on my first post to correct pinouts for the 4 cyl dis picture.
I found some of my info and found dyonboy was correct.
Got me stuffed how I got that wrong.
may be I should have written it in pen not penile and would be able to read it now.
Don't make excuses. Make more horsepower.
BradGTV
cars: 79' + 83' + 85' alfa romeo gtv's

Post by BradGTV »

this is great thread with lots of good into!
i currently hava a lada niva cranks trigger wheel and a D1927a ignition module sitting in front of me. that i plan to add to my camira wiring harness on my alfa 4cyl.
im wondering a few things:
the plugs that go into the module - are these found in a commodore ect..?
what crank sensor can i use? as im using the lada wheel i assume i need a lada one? does anyone know the part number for the lada crank sensor so i can source an equivalent from america? or will one of a cavalier, s10 ect.. work?
cheers, brad
VL400

Post by VL400 »

I would be trying a standard reluctor sensor such as a commodore ABS, falcon inline 6 cam sensor or even from various toyota's. The impedance of the sensors are prob ok, the reluctor amp in most GM modules is a similar setup to the LM1815 chip. The critical part is the cabling and shielding, be sure to also only earth the shield at the module end as ground loops can happen if its earth at both ends. Getting the polarity of the sensor correct is also important, if you get weird misfires, low rev-limit or wandering timing when its in module mode its prob wired with the wrong polarity.

The connectors for the D1927a are not available on a commodore and I dont know of any local vehicles that use them, I have two modules but no connectors :thumbdown: If you do find a source be sure to post it up!
BradGTV
cars: 79' + 83' + 85' alfa romeo gtv's

Post by BradGTV »

has anyone tryed attaching a crank trigger to a grinder, lathe or similar so it turns. then having the crank trigger mounted near it. then have power/earth onto the ingnition module and the crank sensor pluged in. then have 4 spark plugs with leads connected to the coils. would this set up produce a spark? (the ecu would not be connected) i have seen this test done using ford edis but wondering if i can do this with the delco. this way i can test cranks sensors until i get one that works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXVVkrybNpg

today i went to the wreakers looking for the plugs to fit the module, couldnt find any until i came acrossa jakaroo with an isuzu motor in it. this had a differnt coilpack to commodors and the plugs were the same as the 4cyl module. except the power and earth was differnt. below is a pciture of them. not sure what i will do with the power and earth connector. i will send an email to the guys that sell delco stuff on ebay USA see what they say, they might be able to get me one from a wreakers over there.

28082010_009.jpg
28082010_009.jpg (157.29 KiB) Viewed 12105 times
28082010_007.jpg
28082010_007.jpg (92.48 KiB) Viewed 12106 times
28082010_003.jpg
28082010_003.jpg (76.1 KiB) Viewed 12105 times