Delco DIS On Non DIS Engine

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
delcowizzid

Re: Delco DIS On Non DIS Engine

Post by delcowizzid »

1342 probably
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Chubs0191
cars: Fg xr, mk1 capri, hb torana

Post by Chubs0191 »

or 1243 like on my kent
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

the firing order of the module will be 1342 and if you fire 1243 you will have to run 3 in the pic to plug 2 on your setup and 2 in pic to plug 3 on your engine.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Circlotron
cars: VP 5L LPG

Post by Circlotron »

Doesn't matter if it is 1243 or 1342. Both firing orders are end-centre-end-centre. The crankshafts are the same and thats all that matters. One coil goes to the end cyl pair because they move together and the other coil goes to the middle cyl pair because they also move together.

Worst case is you will have to swap the ends to the centres and vice versa.
Chuff

Post by Chuff »

Thanks everyone.

Responses were bit confusing and contradictory so I googled and found that the DS1927A was fitted to a Chevy Beretta 2.2 4 cyl engine which just happens to have the same firing order as my engine, 1342. In addition, it shows the orientation of the coils on the module as well as the firing order as detailed below, so I have everything I need to know.

Thanks again.
Attachments
2_2-G.jpg
2_2-G.jpg (53.6 KiB) Viewed 4584 times
˙ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ǝsǝuıɥɔ ɐ ƃuıʎnq ɹoɟ ʇɥƃıɹ ǝɯ sǝʌɹǝs
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Cool :) Just to explain the above a bit better its wasted spark ignition, so even though the engine firing order is 1342 in practice you'll get 1&4 (1) then 3&2 (3) then 1&4 (4) and 2&3(2).. in each case of the 2 cylinders firing together one cylinder is charged ready to go bang and that cylinder fires but the other one is in the exhaust stroke so the spark also happens there but it is 'wasted'. Hence why this system is called wasted spark.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

if you setup with big enough plug gaps it wont spark to the cylinder on the exhaust stroke at all also each coil fires one spark to earth and one spark from earth really messes with dialback timing lights LOL
EagleMark
cars: 1994 Buick RoadMaster LT1
1972 IH 345 16197427 PCM Project
1990 Chevy 1227747 HighWay Lean Cruise

Post by EagleMark »

delcowizzid wrote:if you setup with big enough plug gaps it wont spark to the cylinder on the exhaust stroke at all also each coil fires one spark to earth and one spark from earth really messes with dialback timing lights LOL
Not funny! :roll:

Drives a guy nuts trying to check timing! :sad2:

My old antique timing light seems to work? What's with the firing to earth and from earth?
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

nah the dial back function and RPM on those timing lights gets messed with as each lead has got 2 sparks per cycle not 1 like it is expecting. so the RPM is doubled and the degrees wound back is either halved or doubled (cant remember). if you dont dial anythign back or use the timing light's RPM function, then it works fine.

as for the firing from earth... so each coil has 2 posts. the spark goes out one post into plug A, jumps from the center electrode to earth, then travels over to plug B through the engine block and into the earth electrode of plug B, jumps to the center of plug B then back out the spark lead and into the other post of the coil to complete the circuit. so one plug in each coil pair has a reversed polarity.
Silver308
cars: Holden VL Calais Wagon 5L
RB30ET Datto Ute (in progress)

Post by Silver308 »

G'day, thread has been a great read,
Had a though the other night also with regards to the northstar setup,
Can two ignition modules (1927A's for instance) be used together to run a v8? if each has its own sensor mounted 90deg apart, with information sent to the 808 from only one but the ecu sending control spark advance back to both? (one would just be running 90deg out of sinc thinking it still running a 4cylinder but not conflicting with the other)
As it seems for a 308/304 there is essentially 4 groups of cylinders that could utilize the wasted spark approach over two 4cyl sets of coil packs.
This issue of fitting multiple coils and removing the distributor is answered in VL400's programable ignition module (great work by the way), but the though occurred and wondered if someone with a bit more nous would know.