Delco DIS On Non DIS Engine

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Re: Delco DIS On Non DIS Enigine

Post by festy »

Chubs0191 wrote:Has anyone come across the plugs to interface with a d1927a on a vehicle avaliable in australia, just trying to save some time at pick-a-part
The plugs were going to cost more than the ignition module, so I just soldered wires onto the module's pins and fitted a generic plug.
The power pin is a standard 6.3(?)mm spade terminal, and the case is earthed so I used one of the mounting bolts for that.

also what has been the general consensus on cutting the groves for the 6+1 trigger wheels just get into it with an angry grinder or is something a little more fine prefered
I took the template from this thread and scaled it to match my harmonic balancer, then printed it out and used that as a guide to cut them on my mill.
There's no reason why a grinder and file couldn't produce decent slots, but regardless of how you cut them just make damn sure you're putting them in exactly the right spot.
Mount your sensor first, because it's position will dictate where the slots go.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Could also grab a universal 36-1 trigger wheel and chop some teeth off - one is done for you :P The teeth are spaced at 10deg so can give you the 6+1 needed.
Chubs0191
cars: Fg xr, mk1 capri, hb torana

Post by Chubs0191 »

VL400 wrote:Could also grab a universal 36-1 trigger wheel and chop some teeth off - one is done for you :P The teeth are spaced at 10deg so can give you the 6+1 needed.
So it doesnt have to be grooves it can be raised teeth?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yes and in fact raised teeth actually work better than slots.
Chubs0191

Post by Chubs0191 »

so i have my trigger wheel for the deletion of teeth but on a serious note would it be worth waiting for vl400's universal ignition modules?, before i go cutting off teeth?
VL400

Post by VL400 »

Its still in the testing stage but everyday getting closer to a usable module, all depends on how quickly you want the engine running.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

I've been reading through all this and others for the first tine, I have an amateur question. In the 36-1 wheel what does the -1 do? Why is it needed for a 202 with an 808? Im sure it was covered.

Very keen for a 202 with no dissy and 6 LS2 truck coils.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

the ignition module sees the missing tooth and then knows the next tooth after that is TDC so then it knows when to fire in the case of a 6 cylinder every 120 degrees.
Chubs0191

Post by Chubs0191 »

with your module vl400 am i able to still run d1927a ignition module and dfus or is that made reduntant
VL400

Post by VL400 »

It replaces the d1927a, but the one thing it does not do is drive an ignition coil directly. It provides logic level outputs that can drive coils with built in ignitors or external ignitors driving a normal coil. Some examples of compatible coils are the LSx range (except one type of LS2 truck coils which have a built in protection feature that fires the coil early if dwell is too high, which happens on a delco during cranking and low RPMs), most coil on plugs (COPs) that have 3 or 4 wires, external bosch ignition modules and factory ignitors that use 5V logic inputs for triggering.